Chapter 17: I'm in love now.

*Zayn’s POV*

Why did I come tonight?

Why did I have to see another dark alley?

I hate the fact that I was in such a lousy mood.

I sat on the couch inside the VIP lounge. I looked around me and realized how small the room actually was. It was a rectangular room with a single large couch in the middle. Behind me was a tiny bar where Ed was mixing drinks. On the far left was the fire exit where we passed through earlier. On the right was a door that was actually supposed to be used when entering and leaving this room. Outside it was a rotating staircase that led to the first floor, there was a bouncer guarding it with a velvet rope.

This probably used to be a sound tech booth because the glass window in front of me had a view of the stage and the dance floor below. Instead of sound equipment and a production crew by the glass, there now stood directly facing the couch I was sitting on, a small loveseat where Niall knelt.

He looked like a little kid with his hands and forehead on the glass watching whatever it was that was happening downstairs.

I heard the door knock and the three of us looked at the direction of the door at the same time.

A tall, pretty brunette opened the door and Ed called her to come over.

“Hey Son, these are Niall and Zayn.”

“From One Direction. Hello.” She held out her hand and I shook it. Niall also did the same, and then he sat on the loveseat properly.

“Lads, this is Sonja Hyland.” Ed said to us while she gave both of us a warm smile. She looked to be around Ed’s age, or older, I couldn’t really tell. She had an air of confidence around her, like she knows what she’s doing all the time and not even meeting members of One Direction or seeing Ed Sheeran could make her lose poise. She reminded me of her.

She walked towards Ed and he handed her a drink while Niall stood up from the loveseat and slumped down beside me on the couch.

“Thinking about Alley Girl mate?” Niall already gave her a nickname. I found it quite cute actually. It made me imagine that maybe her name was Ally, or Alex, or anything. Anything at all.

“Yep. I can’t help it.”

“I know, I’m sorry you had to pass by that alley. I really didn’t think…”

“No, s’all right.” I said sheepishly. Then I heard laughter from behind us. We both looked at Ed and Sonja, they were so animated in their conversation that they forgot we were in the room. Niall looked at them adoringly. I feel bad that I brought negative vibes along with me, I didn’t want him to feel down, but I just can’t help myself. I haven’t had much sleep since that night I met her.

“That’s them.” Sonja said then they both walked towards the glass window where Niall was at earlier. They both stood there admiringly looking at the stage down below.

“Check it out lads, this is coming with me on my next tour.” Ed called us, and Niall stood up to watch with them.

“Hah! She’s cute.” I heard Niall chuckle.

“No mate, don’t even think about it!” Ed smacked Niall in the back of the head and they both just laughed. Cheeky Niall will flirt with anybody who’s gonna kill his chances of being with ginger jesus. His terms, not mine.

Music started playing downstairs. I couldn’t see what was on the stage because I was still sitting on the couch. I was not in the mood to ‘check out Ed’s opening act’ I wanted to leave already, but I didn’t want to let Niall down. So I went to the bar at the back and looked for a drink.