Ever Since First Grade

Third Person POV

Sean was a shy, little boy and he didn't have many friends. He was too afraid to go and talk to any of the other six and seven year olds in his first grade class. He would always sit in silence at his desk with wide eyes. He didn't talk to anyone, no, instead he observed them. He watched everyone, took in how they did things around the classroom. Everyone usually did things that a first grader would do. They would color, play with puzzles, learn their abc's over and over again. Just normal first grade stuff. But another little boy always caught his eye whenever he skimmed the classroom. He never did anything a first grader would do. He was much more sophisticated for his age. He didn't break the crayons just because he felt like it, he didn't cut up the paper just because he wanted to. He put things to good use and he was, strangely, a very good little boy. This little boy's name was Mark.

Sean had learned to like Mark very quickly. He never talked to him so he didn't really know that much about him, but that didn't bother Sean. Just being in the same classroom as him was an honor, I guess you could say. Sean would always gaze at Mark a little longer than anyone else in the class when he looked over his fellow classmates. Sean was attracted to Mark somehow, but Sean, being a first grader, didn't really understand the attraction he had towards him. He understood it more as they both grew up.

One day in third grade, Sean had finally gathered up enough courage to try and talk to the dark haired boy. It was lunchtime, and Sean was sitting at his normal table all alone, just like usual. He scanned every student's face in the cafeteria until he found Mark. He swallowed the bite of his sandwich he had in his mouth, and stood up from his table. As he started walking to the table Mark was at, various bad thoughts flooded into his mind.

What if he doesn't like me?

What if he thinks I'm weird?

Does he even know who I am?

His thoughts frightened him, but he was determined to talk to Mark. He had tried all last year, but every time he ended up backing out like a coward. He was a coward. Everything scared him but for some reason, this time he wasn't going to back out. It didn't scare him this time. He was willing to actually try. As he approached Mark's table, he gulped and dug his hands deep into his pockets.

It's okay, Sean. You're okay.

He waited awkwardly until Mark noticed a presence behind him. He turned around and spotted Sean standing there shyly. He smiled softly and started the conversation.

"Hello Sean." he said calmly.

Wait! He knows my name?!

"Uh.. hello Mark." Sean spoke out, barely above a whisper. Mark's smile grew bigger and Sean felt a blush creeping up on his cheeks.

"Would you like to sit with me? I don't really have anyone to sit with today." Mark asked as he gestured to the table he was sitting at. He didn't even sound like a little kid when he talked, he sounded all grown up. Sean's breath caught in his throat as he tried to spit out an answer.

"Yes! Uh- I mean, sure. Yeah, I'll sit with you." Sean said abruptly. He then quieted his voice and became embarrassed at his outburst. Mark laughed and Sean ended up chuckling as well. He went and got his tray from his table and brought it back to Mark's. He sat down right beside him and for some reason, butterflies flew around in his stomach when Mark scooted closer to him. It wasn't even that much, but Sean's heartbeat quickened anyway. He wasn't quite old enough to understand the affection he had towards Mark. One day, he would realize it.

After another day of sixth grade, Sean had come over to Mark's house to finish their homework together to and play some video games for when they were done. By now, Sean and Mark had become very close best friends. They had been friends ever since that move Sean made in third grade. They had become closer everyday, and now they basically lived at each other's houses. Sean would always have extra clothes at Mark's and it was the same way vice versa. It was always just in case they played video games for too long and had to stay the night. That didn't matter to their parents, though. Sean's mother was just glad that he had finally found a friend, and Mark's mother couldn't be happier either.