Chapter Seventeen, Part Three - Naked

The Wolf had been subdued so long it had more than enough energy and desire to run laps around the room, but it cared enough for it's Human to not embarrass her during such an important time. Instead, it sat regally on its haunches, its paws relaxed and ears erect. It was beautiful–a small alp of rumbling white with Naomi's vibrant green eyes. It was queenly and composed, watchful and intent. Yet something else within the Wolf exuded a coldness and detachment from its surroundings. It was this coldness, this detachment the Wolf offered that provided the girl with the strength to achieve difficult, impossible things. Without the Wolf the girl was harmless.

It watched as the middle sister produced a small paring knife with a sharp, curved blade. The sister moved from behind the counter; her red, stiletto, heels clicked across the tiles as she approached the still, silent, creature.

"You know, you really shouldn't exist." The woman bent and raised the knife. It was only centimeters from the Wolf's snout. "Yet here you are... There's something off about you, little one."

But the Wolf was undaunted by the Witch–it remained as still as a statue. There was barely a flicker of emotion from behind those flawless, green eyes which were trained so steadfastly on the woman.

With a doleful sigh for her small, unfamiliar failure, the Witch cut herself a small lock of the Wolf's fur. She straightened and briefly observed the material in her palm. Satisfied, away the heels clicked, and the Wolf's purpose ceased. It offered a long, mournful howl to the ceiling, and returned the naked girl to her place.

* * *