Chapter Eight, Part Four - Push Me Pull Me

The Penthouse of the Waldorf Towers was a visual feast for the eyes. The beautiful grand foyer was the first room you encountered. It was followed by a lovely formal dining room seated for twelve, a business-like, but not-ungraceful living room, a full-sized kitchen larger than most of the rooms I'd grown up in, and two bedrooms that each had their own four-fixture bathrooms made of sparkling marble.

As I investigated each of the rooms I felt the beauty of the Penthouse move within me. The windows were floor-to-ceiling - each capturing its own version of the perfect Manhattan view. The plush furniture, elegant paintings, and stylish mirrors were perfect for lending the suite a 1930's atmosphere. Of course I loved it all, but nevertheless I remained intimidated by the grandeur of the Waldorf. It reminded me that I now stood in a far different locale than a year ago. This was a good thing... but I didn't know if I'd ever get used to it.

Our bags were already stacked in the living room (by a mini bar that wasn't quite so mini). I bypassed them and headed straight to the window. New York lights twinkled all across the city and the streets were abuzz with ever flowing traffic. The points and turrets of skyscrapers studded my line of vision, like steel fingers aimed at the night. In pleasant surprise I picked out several famous landmarks like the Rockefeller Center, Central Park, and even the spiked rooftops of St. Patrick's Cathedral.

I was transfixed by the view long enough for Tidus to prepare two scotch and sodas from the bar. He took his place beside me, nudging me as he offered a drink. The glass was already cold and sweating from the ice. I took my first sip and the liquor revived me.

"It's so beautiful."

"Hmm?" said Tidus, invested in his drink.

"The view? Manhattan is amazing. It's like... a painting come to life."

"I remember a time when the city wasn't so glamorous." His expression was so close to insipidness it could've been ennui. "I remember when it was all smog and dirty buildings and despair. I kind of miss it. That was a New York truly reflective of the world we live in."

Intrigued, I studied him from above the rim of my glass. "And what were you like in the old New York?"

"Well, I didn't have my Humanity-if that's what you're getting at. But to be honest I was no worse than most Humans. It was desperate times for Vampire and Man-there was no work, no money, and all the Humans tasted like ash."

Suddenly I recalled the fact that he actually drank blood when I wasn't around. "Tidus, have you ever killed anyone?"

The look Tidus gave me was sobering enough to cause me to take a large swallow of my drink. "A rather inane question to be asking a Vampire-don't you think?"

"Will you ever give me a straight answer about anything?" I couldn't help it. My frustration was showing.

"No, because you're adorable when you're angry. Besides, it's more fun discovering things on your own."

"Maybe," I gave him a level look. "Or you don't want me knowing too much about your past because you think it'll change how I look at you."