Chapter Fourteen, Part Three - Heart Attack

I felt his gaze travel across my body as I descended the winding stairs to greet Tidus, who was waiting just outside the doorway. Apparently Mrs. Trentley had opened the door and simply left. There was no further service she could extend because a Vampire couldn't enter a home without direct invitation from the homeowner. So for now, all Tidus could do was stand and watch.

From the moment our eyes met I could tell he was caught off guard–a byproduct of the dress, I knew. In his eyes blazed a carnal desire hot enough to make me shiver. Goosebumps rippled across my skin, and I tore my eyes from his concentrated gaze.

"Hey." He blew out a breath and looked away.

"Hey."

This time I didn't wait for Tidus to give the green light. I crossed the threshold and put my arms around his neck. "Kiss me."

"Why?"

I looked deep into those cold blue eyes. "Why not?"

Satisfied with the answer Tidus obliged my request. He kissed me, hard, and I felt the satisfaction that comes with fulfilling a craving that's gone long denied. He put his hands on my waist and squeezed. He wanted more, I wanted more, but there just didn't seem to be enough us to go around. Tidus broke the kiss and rested his forehead against mine. He closed his eyes and bit his lip, then pulled away entirely.

"Uh, yeah..." Something in his eyes changed and he frowned, as if I were to blame for his slip in control. "Here." He reached inside the pocket of his jeans and pull out the ring box.

"You can come in if you want. We can talk for a bit."

Tidus shook his head and handed me the ring.

"Now's not a good time. I planned on discussing something important but I see you already have plans..."

"Tonight's the Fall Gala. People are kind of expecting me to show."

"People." His smirk was so bitter I just knew he was referring to Ethan. "But you're right--it'd waste of a good dress if you didn't go."

I couldn't talk about Ethan with him. Switching topics was my only option. "Ti, are you ok? You said you were being followed--"

"It's nothing I can't handle. My main concern is the ring." He looked away again, building yet another wall to put more distance between us.

"Alright. But you also said you wanted to talk about something. Well, maybe we can talk on Wednesday?"

Innocence was the goal here–an innocence that packed a hard, right hook. I still didn't know what he had or hadn't said to Johl, and vice versa. Here was my chance to find out.

"Wednesday?" Tidus repeated, genuinely confused.

"Johl's party," I said. "He invited me. I just assumed you'd be there..."

His jaw tightened. "I didn't know my brother invited you to his party. You should know that Johl is never without some hidden agenda or motive. He isn't nice just for the sake of it. You'd be doing yourself a favor by not showing up."

"Are you serious?" I couldn't believe his reaction. "I thought this was what you wanted! Me--getting close to the Council to help you."

"Naomi, this is not a way to get close to the Council. This is a way for my brother to get close to you. I haven't said a word about Claudia or her visions, and it needs to stay that way. He can't know about this, Naomi, because if he finds out... you're as good as dead. I promise."

"I'm a big girl--I can take care of myself. I'm not scared of your brother."

"Well, you should be." His eyes flashed with anger. "Look, you might think I'm distancing myself simply because I dislike you or what you are--but that is so adolescent. I've kept my distance because the less contact between us, the better chance we both have of surviving this. My family is extremely protective; Olivia wouldn't spare a thought to having you killed if she knew about any of this."

"Then you do believe me--I knew it." I shook my head, unable to decide between relief and anger. "Why else would you protect me from your family? Deep down you've known all along I was telling the truth."

"I know liars." Tidus studying me with those piercing eyes of his. He reached out and touched me cheek with one cold finger, then dropped his hand. "You're a good one, but I know you aren't lying about this. On the other hand I'd be a fool to put my trust in you without proof--which is why we need to be careful how we handle Johl. If he finds out about any of this, he will tell Olivia and the rest of the Council, and I don't wanna think about what'll next. I'm trying to protect you, but my brother has a penchant for getting close to women I'm involved with--"

"Wait a minute, you think we're involved?" I couldn't help it, I smiled.

He rolled his eyes. "I didn't mean it that way..."

"Yeah, but it's already out." He was wearing a thin, grey hoodie over a dark green jacket. I took the strings of the hoodie into my hands, and playfully wound them between my fingers. "Don't get an attitude with me. What did you wanna say to me, earlier?" I tugged on the strings and drew him closer. "For once, why don't you just say what's really on your mind?"

He said nothing, simply stared down at my hands like he couldn't look away.

"You know, I bet you would look great in a tux... and even better out of it."

"Sorry." Tidus wrapped his cold hands around mine. "I'm not your type." He forced my hands from his chest. "Just keep the ring safe. Try not to lose it."

He placed his hands in his pockets and started to walk away. I watched him go, feeling empty. Every time we parted it's like he took a part of me with him, and it hurt more and more each time.

"By the way..." He faced me again, but kept walking backwards. "You're beautiful, and you will outshine every other girl in that Gala tonight. I just want you to know that--in case Knight is too stupid to say it." And there I was, left to seethe and swoon in his wake. He took a few more steps, and then turned into a blur that was across the lawn and down the street in seconds. Sighing, I stepped inside the house, shut the door and leaned against it. I put a hand against my racing heart and closed my eyes.

Only time would clarify this newness developing between us. I was so confused about everything: who he was, his true intentions, and where I really stood with him. However there was one thing I was certain of: Tidus wasn't just distancing himself to protect me from his family. He was doing it to protect himself too. He was worried that I would hurt him in methods that were far more complex than physical ways.

Tidus was a monster with a heart, and he was fighting his damndest to protect it.

* * *