Chapter Ten, Part One - The Vampire's Gift

Tidus and I returned to the Waldorf, where I laid in bed until the northern sun gave way to the night. When Tidus knocked on the door I was already dressed. It was now a half hour to midnight.

"Ready?" he asked.

 "Um, yes." I hesitated, wondering how his eyes could wipe my mind so blank. "But before we go I need to tell you something."

"Ok." He leaned against the doorframe, waiting.

I took a deep breath. "A few months ago I received an anonymous warning. And up until today I thought it might have something to do with you or even the Council but..."

"But now, after our talk at dinner, you aren't so sure," he finished.

"Right."

"You might have every reason to fear me, but you're extremely low on Council radar."

I nodded, feeling a small wave of relief. But the Council was only one less problem that I had to worry about. There was still the Elder, and now the impending task that Tidus had set before me.

"Are you alright?"

"No," I said. "I'm supposed to walk away from you after we deal with the visions—that was the plan, remember?"

"Plans change," he said quietly. "Besides, it's only—"

"Business, yeah, I know."

An awkward silence fell.

"Naomi..." I looked into his eyes and time slowed, the world stopped turning, the moon fell into the sea. "I'm sorry."

I didn't ask him what for. Somehow it was easier not knowing.  

*  *  *

We left the hotel and hailed a cab. I was nervous though I would never admit it aloud. Tidus was so sure everything would go smoothly but doubt still wriggled in the back of my mind. Just as I was hoping my edginess wouldn't show I jumped at the sound of my phone. I gave Tidus a nervous, apologetic smile and quickly read Adelle's message.

charles knows you're in new york with a guy! he asked me who, but i didn't tell him.

Thanks Addy. Screen his calls until tomorrow. Will update then.

            And yet another reminder my grandfather was not to be trusted. But I refused to dwell on this in front of Tidus. It wouldn't do to give him a reason to gloat.

*  *  *