Chapter Four, Part Three - Hot And Cold

Ten seconds ago I was enamored with the stranger. Now, I was repulsed.

I felt his weight shift and then it was gone entirely, leaving me free to sit up. Shaking with anger and humiliation, I wrenched down my dress, attempting to compose myself.

"Can I at least take off the blindfold?" I said through gritted teeth.

There was a small clicking sound and I sensed lights being turned on in the room.

"Feel free," replied the stranger, deceptively friendly.

With shaking fingers I undid the blindfold and flung the tie across the room. Tidus Romaine stood before me, unwaveringly calm, like the eye of some horrible storm. He was wearing Ethan's purple hoodie, which had effectively duped my Wolfy senses and tricked me into believing Ethan had really been in the room. Hands that had once curled around mine and pressed them deep into the sheets were now crossed indifferently over his chest. He appeared relaxed, however one hand gripped the small hilt of a lethal-looking knife. I could only guess that it was a dagger, considering I had never seen a real one before.

I opened my mouth to speak but Tidus cut me off with a slow, commanding shake of the head. He was young, mid-to-late twenties, but his eyes shined with ideas and memories that I knew were much older than my own. He wasn't just some drunken frat member, clumsy and Human. No, he was a Vampire, and I knew I would do well not to forget.

"Speak, but don't scream," he reminded. "I have pretty good aim when it comes to knife-throwing."

I eyed the blade. "What do you want from me?"

He considered me for a few tense moments, then looked down at the knife and twiddled it in his hands, considering things and simultaneously terrifying me. "I'm kind of in a tough spot. You see, a friend of mine has this crazy notion that you're somehow gonna kill me. And the thing is, this friend is never wrong."

"Well, they are this time." I lifted my chin, fierce despite my fear. "And by the way--your friend sounds completely insane."

He didn't move, but his eyes traveled slowly up my legs, which were still stretched out across the bed. He may have had a bone to pick with me, but clearly the ghost of our little moment was already haunting him. "She's a Witch," he said at last. "And maybe you can say different, but I've never met one to have a vision that didn't come true."

Carefully, I got up from the bed. He was at the perfect opportunity and with all the right equipment to finish me in seconds. He could have the deed done long before Ethan, Adelle or some other poor soul would stumble upon my body.

"Then maybe she's lying," I snapped. "Who is she?"

He fingered the edge of his knife. "Her name isn't important."

"So what now? You gonna kill me?" I stood still despite my quaking fear. "Because you should know I won't go quietly. I'll be sure to attract lots of attention before I die..."

Intuition told me the smile that spread across Tidus' face was a rare one – and not something to be taken lightly. I looked into his blue eyes and suddenly the fear lessened. Kissing him had damaged his resolve or else I would've been dead minutes ago. He wouldn't kill me now. Tomorrow, perhaps, but not tonight.

"I'll take you to her; she'll be the one to decide your fate. Meet me behind the Blue Moon tomorrow night at nine. And come alone, Naomi--you don't want anyone you care about involved in this." He strode to the door, tucking the knife out of sight, but my curiosity proved stronger than I had anticipated.

"Wait!" He paused in the doorway. "Why'd you do it? Why did you let me kiss you?"

"Because you're beautiful," said Tidus.

And then he was gone.

* * *

I managed to stumble my way from the bedroom and hurry down the staircase back to the party below. I grabbed Adelle when I saw her, and tugged her away from Collin.

"Naomi! Hey, what the hell--"

The cold night air hit us hard as we traded the party for the porch. My skin grew hot and flushed as guiltily I recalled Tidus and his cold, cold hands.

"We need to go. Right now." I tried to lead her away from the porch, but Addy yanked free from my grasp.

"Not until you tell me what's going on! What's wrong? Did something happen?"

I looked around us, scanning the shadows of the yard and street. But I could see or hear nothing out of the ordinary. All was still besides the activity from the party, so I decided maybe it really was safe to speak. But before I could explain, the front door of the house swung open with a bang and Ethan stepped outside. I took one look at the angry, confused expression on his face, and knew that he was hurt. He let the door slam closed behind him and he glared at me, waiting for an explanation.

"Where the hell were you? And does anyone know what happened to my hoodie?"

"Tidus Romaine was here," I said quietly. "And he told me that a Witch... a Witch had a vision of me killing him."

"Why would you kill Tidus Romaine?"

"I'm not really going to kill him, Ethan. And I'm fine by the way--thank you so much for asking."

"Ehmagawd," said Adelle in alarm. "Are you sure you're ok?" She grabbed my hand. "Did he hurt you?"

Before I could stop myself, a hand flew upwards to meet my lips. Ethan observed this with a knowing suspicion, so I dropped my hand. "Yeah, I'm ok--he didn't hurt me. But I have to go with him tomorrow--to see the Witch."

"Are you crazy?" Adelle now looked as incredulous as Ethan. "Naomi, you can't--it could be a trap."

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter. No one else can found out about this. I have to go."

"Fine," said Ethan. His eyes were flat and hard. "Then I'm coming with you."

"No." I shook my head again. "Just me. Tidus made it pretty clear he doesn't want anyone else involved. Look guys, I just want this night to be over." I looked to Ethan. "Take me home?" Suddenly I was exhausted. I had no more fight left.

But the look of rage that had taken hold of Ethan's usually sweet face was one I had never seen. "You know, I can smell him." His voice was low and dangerous. "He's all over you."

There was the crunch of Ethan's feet on the grass as he walked away. Addy and I watched as he slid his keys from his pocket, and we heard the chirp of his car as he pressed the unlock button. He didn't bother to look back as he climbed into his car.

Addy picked up a rock and hurled it, denting the bumper of Ethan's vehicle as it sped into the distance. "Asshole!"

"I'm so dead." I swallowed. "What am I gonna do?"

Adelle placed her hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eye. "What Wolves do best--you're gonna school a Vampire."

* * *