Chapter Fourteen, Part Two - Heart Attack

George destroyed the file, leaving in my hands the only evidence left in the world that could support my theory that my father was killed. Ethan re-assumed his Human form, and changed into his clothes. We were done here, we got what we wanted–and then some. The only problem was that I didn't feel triumphant or even remotely satisfied. All I felt was more sadness, more anger. Why?

"You can undo him," Ethan told Dr. Grey as he put on his jacket. "Just give us a five minute head start, huh George?"

Ethan came to stand beside me as I pressed the elevator's call button. George stayed rooted to the same spot, and I couldn't see any part of Dr. Harris, who was well concealed behind the table's girth.

"Whatever you want," George assured. "We won't tell anyone you were here."

"I know you won't," I replied. "Or I'll be back." The elevator doors opened with a ding and Ethan and I stepped inside. "You two keep my secret, and I'll keep yours. Unless of course an inspection comes along. In that case--you're on your own. Have a nice day gentleman."

The doors closed, but I didn't need to hear their reply to know that George and Dr. Harris were now playing for Team Naomi. Honestly, I knew George would untie his co-worker and then the two of them would probably rush to concoct another fake autopsy to again replace the original. But the important thing was that the original file was destroyed. And now that I had the last, true copy, I was free to do with it as I pleased.

"So what happens now, Mimi?" Ethan leaned against the wall of the elevator, looking at me with a newfound sense of respect. "You were right all along and now you've got the evidence to prove it. I mean, it sounds crazy, but it seriously looks like Paris killed her husband."

"Yeah, seems that way doesn't?" I said softly, looking down at the papers in my hands. "She must've killed him while they were out riding. And then she lied about it to the police, the EMT's, the hospital staff--everyone except George and Dr. Harris. She used them to help cover it up, and then stole Jack's body and had him cremated to hide the evidence. Even I have to admit her plan was pretty resourceful. Obviously it worked."

"Hey, are you ok?" Ethan touched my shoulder in concern.

"I'm fine." I looked back at him with all the poise in the world. I had to be ok–my dignity was the only thing keeping me from falling apart entirely.

"But you don't have to be." His voice was gentle. "You know that right? It's ok to not be ok right now."

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. We were back on the first floor again.

"I'm fine, really," I repeated. My composure never wavered. "I'm not gonna do anything--not yet. I think it would be dangerous to rush into a decision. I just need some time to think." I left the elevator but Ethan paused before catching up. I knew he was worried, because we both knew that on the inside I wasn't ok at all. Not even close. Not even a little.

* * *

Mrs. Trentley was there to greet me at the front door. Ethan had dropped me off at home, but before I left I made him swear he would tell no one about what had happened at the morgue. I couldn't risk anyone else finding out what Paris had done, because if she had truly murdered my father in cold blood, I would be the one to make her pay. No one would have that satisfaction but me.

"Mrs. T?"

"Yes, Naomi?" she replied, helping me out of my jacket.

"I need you to make a copy of something and then mail it to my mother tomorrow–and don't overnight it. In fact, why don't you send it to Hasting first, and have it mailed from there?" I needed the extra time to think and prepare.