Chapter Five, Part One - Fool Me Once

The next morning I sat at the breakfast table, glowering behind my coffee and toast. With a sharp eye and a quiet tongue, Mrs. Trentley refilled my mug. I could tell she was hesitant to leave, but just as reluctant to stay.

"I'll just say it - Naomi, dear, you look like death. What happened to you and Adelle last night? What kind of trouble have you landed yourself in?"

I scowled. "Please, Mrs. T. I am an adult."

"Yes, yes you are," she briskly agreed. "But it's us adults that get ourselves into the worst kind of trouble. Children don't know the world like we do - not in the least."

Fortunately, the doorbell sounded, saving me from having to reply. With a sigh, Mrs. Trentley straightened, smoothing her uniform.

"I'll just get the door then," she said, and a few moments later, Addy joined me in the dining room. The dark circles beneath her eyes suggested she hadn't slept a lick either.

Addy produced a baggy from her large, Coach purse. "Here," she said.

At first glance I assumed it was kush, but closer inspection revealed small clumps of dried, crushed leaves that weregreen and gray in color. I opened the baggy, skeptical, as a strong, familiar odor began to permeate the room.

I wrinkled my nose. "Ew, what is this?"

"Its verbena." Addy sat down heavily in a chair before plucking an apple from the fruit bowl. "It's a plant that'll keep a certain Vampire from sucking your blood. Tastes like ass, but it's worth the trouble it takes to get it down. It's easier if you drink it in your tea."

Tea... tea.... tea... I dragged my fingers through my hair in deep meditation. TEA!!!

"What the hell?!"

"What?" Addy talked through a mouth full of apple "What is it?".

"I've had this stuff before - a few days ago. It was in this tea Diane made. I only took a sip, but it tasted just like this smells... Why didn't she mention me she was giving me verbena?"

"Who knows? Maybe it's because she's as scandalous as her douchey husband. Or..."

"Or?"

"Or maybe we should be on our knees kissing her Prada heels. What if Tidus had bitten you last night? Maybe that one sip from Grammy's tea could've stopped him from draining you. To be fair, what Diane did was kind of underhanded, but maybe that's just her dysfunctional way of showing that she cares. I mean, it's not like she poisoned you, babe."

"Yeah, maybe... but do you really think we need this?"

Adelle stared at me. "Are you seriously asking that question? Look, this stuff is gold. And are you gonna tell me what really happened between you and Tidus last night? I mean, I could totally fill in the blanks, but I'm thinking that that wouldn't do it nearly enough justice."