Chapter Six, Part Four - No New Friends

He drove me home and we didn't speak the entire ride. Apparently everything important had already been said. Once we reached my house Tidus parked his car along the curb. The engine idled quietly in the dark, silent street.

"Well, thanks? I guess?" I reached out to grab the handle, but stopped at the sound of Tidus' voice.

"Naomi, it may not seem like it, but this hasn't been easy for me. Being in this situation with you... it's not only forced me to question my character, but it also makes me wonder if I'm not close to losing my Humanity again—and that can't happen." He sighed. "The Vampire in me... it's telling me to defend myself... to go ahead and just kill you. But the Human side wants to give you a chance. So I'm trying to do that. Because if I don't... I might not come back from that. I haven't killed in a long time and I need it to stay that way."

Of course. Vampires were world famous for their transgressions. After all, their curse was a portal to every pleasure and every sin– with punishments and repercussions that could be turned off by simply flipping a mental switch. With no Humanity there was no need to bother with those pesky Human feelings like guilt or remorse. And judging from his admission, if Tidus had ever been a Vampire that had once lost his way, then he must've been bad–very bad.

"It's ok. You don't wanna kill me but you don't want insta-love either—and I completely agree. But does enemies have to be the alternative? Why not try to prevent what Claudia says will happen?"

"And how do you suggest we do that?"

 "I dunno, baby steps? We don't have to be friends, but you can at least let me help you—and Claudia. Take me with you to get the amulet – I promise, Tidus, I don't want you to lose your Humanity either."

He took a deep breath and glanced at me for final consideration. "It's been a long night. Get some rest, Naomi." Tidus looked straight ahead. "I'll be in touch."

"Yeah, right. Have fun in New York." Disappointed, I stepped out of the car and watched Tidus disappear into the night from which he came.

*  *  *