Chapter Fifteen, Part Two - Breaking The Rules

This year the Fall Gala was taking place at the Fairway–Harbor's country club. Though membership to the Fairway came at a cost, town events like the Fall Gala were generally free because attendees were expected to dish out big bucks by the end of the evening anyway. Any true socialite in Harbor would tell you that title always came with a price.

The Fairway was really a renovated mansion. It was an off-white building with a peaked roof, and decorated with fancy, gold trim and matching gold shutters. This was a neutral space in Harbor, so there were no verbena flowers or rosebushes on the sloping green lawn, just as there would be no silver metal on the inside. There was no territory to mark, no invisible lines to be avoided. No, tonight Supernaturals and Humans alike were free to come together to empty their pockets in support of the town they loved.

Once you made it past the golden front doors of the Fairway, you were swallowed by a sea of round tables equipped with four gold chairs apiece. The tables were positioned in even rows throughout the room and covered in ruffled, white cloths made of satin. A long, thick isle sliced the room in half. It was marked by a thick stripe of red carpet to hide the wood floorboards.

A small stage was positioned at the far end of the room, with an empty microphone at its center. Below that was a small, rectangular table against the base of the stage's platform. Three people were seated at this table, taking donations for the night's charity event. A large, white banner hung above their heads, and from its looping black script, I deemed the citizens of Harbor Village were gathered tonight in support of building a new, upscale shelter for the homeless. You could purchase as many bricks as you liked for fifty dollars apiece, and all proceeds would go straight to the project's building fund.

Most of the guests were sitting at the tables, or standing in small bunches exchanging conversation. Waiters and waitresses wandered about the room, equipped with golden platters of champagne and ice. A server walked by and I snagged a glass of champagne from his platter. Before I had the chance to take a sip, Ethan stole the glass back and shoved it into the hands of another waiter.

He placed an arm around my waist and pulled me close. "My step-mother," he murmured in my ear.

"Ethan." A middle-aged blonde woman approached, though her eyebrows whispered she was a stone-cold brunette. She was of medium height, with a pretty face and light brown eyes. But from the look of exasperation on Ethan's face, coupled with her fire-red gown and golden heels, it wasn't hard to imagine her with a pitchfork and horns. She was attractive, and a good ten years younger than her husband, but the arrogance behind her smile said she was more cougar than lamb.

"Well, you and your lovely date missed my big opening speech, but you're not too late to leave a donation, dearies. After all, that's why we're all here..."

She held a nearly empty glass of champagne in one hand, with a gold pocket book in the crook of her opposite arm. With her wandering eyes she took a moment to sweep the immediate perimeter for another waiter. I had the distinct impression she was a woman who drank often and lied about it more. Disappointed, she turned back to her guests.

"The name's Kimber, by the way. I'm Ethan's mother." Smiling politely she extended a single, well-manicured hand. I shook it, surprised by the firmness of her grip.

"Step-mother," Ethan corrected. There was an automatic, resentful quality to his voice.

"Yes." Her smile remained over-bright smile. "Well, I hardly seem to notice. We are family after all. And with you being Naomi's Champion, I might as well welcome her into the fold, right, sweetheart?" Kimber looked at me with expectation, but I couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't sound rude or sarcastic. "Really, Ethan couldn't have picked a more interesting... er... exotic date--my dear, your skin is absolutely flawless. And I can't believe that you've only been here a few months, and yet already the town is just buzzing about you. Naomi, you are quite the mysterious young woman."