Chapter Two, Part One - Welcome To Harbor Village

Over the next few weeks, I spent time getting acquainted with the rest of the house and the grounds, but it was my new bedroom that captured most of my attention. I took so much comfort in its beauty. Not that I was materialistic, but I've always thought a beautiful room elicits peace in the right setting.

Like the rest of the manor, the floors, ceiling, and walls were marble, and the furniture and decorations were of a soft, rosy shade of pink. I'd never been much of a girly girl, but I didn't mind the princess-y feel of the room. The elaborately carved frame of the king-size bed was made of white wood. Drapes of a gauzy pattern were attached to its four canopy posts, with a draw string at the headboard to allow them to swing down and shroud the bed. They reminded you of the clouds you'd see in a summer-blue sky–just as thick and white. There were two matching night stands with a rose-colored lamp on each, complete with a matching dresser. It sat against the wall by the door, carved from the same wood, with a large square mirror on the wall above. Stare in that mirror long enough and you'd find a crown on your head.

From the two floor-to-ceiling windows behind my bed came a magnificent view of the backyard. They were fitted with window seats–twin thrones sporting plush cushions of the same rosy pattern. I also had a walk-in closet large enough to run and hide in, with a connecting bathroom the size of a small living room. The marble shower came complete with heat controlling heads that detached from the spotless walls to deposit soap, shampoo, or conditioner in your hands, depending on which button you pressed. I took a shower in it once but decided I preferred the large, claw-footed tub after dropping a soap bar and losing it for five whole minutes.

I didn't know it then, but losing my shower was the lightest price I would pay for being introduced to such a royal, new lifestyle.

* * *

One early morning, I was awakened by a routine knock on my bedroom door. Rolling over groggily, I called out a hello, granting the caller permission to enter.

"Breakfast in a half hour, Naomi. Did you sleep well?" Mrs. Trentley crossed the room and began busying herself with opening the thick, ruffled curtains that adorned the windows.

"I did, thanks." I yawned, pushing matted hair from my face. "But it was a little cold last night, Mrs. T. I think there's a draft in the room."

"Well, I'll have Archie take a look for it then. By the way, Ethan Knight is swimming in the pool."

"Sure, sounds good..." I sat up and stretched. "Wait. What?" I sprang from the bed to join Mrs. Trentley by the windows, where she was peering through a crack in the thick, heavy blinds. I followed suit and quickly discovered that indeed there was a tan, lean figure doing lazy laps in the water, as if he were perfectly within his right to be there.

"He hasn't been there long," said Mrs. Trentley. "The security cameras picked him up about ten minutes ago, but I haven't had the time to look through the footage to discover how he got in."

I admit, I was absorbed by the view. "That's easy," I said mildly. "The bars have enough space in between to keep people out, but not animals. They could slip right in... But why is some random, hot guy swimming in my pool?"