Chapter Eleven, Part Two - Bad Girls

When it came to defining my own character, I had no qualms. I was Naomi Elizabeth Noble - foster kid, system screw-up, sometimes defender of the weak, and always tough as nails. So when my powers kicked in after I puberty, and I realized I was no longer fragile and vulnerable, I learned how to use that to my advantage.

I was clever, which helped me avoid the eyes of the law (for the most part). I was intuitive, which was why I didn't have many friends. And I was friendly, but unforgivable, when I needed to be.

And until now, any transgressions I created were committed for a purpose that was either honorable or necessary. The ends always justified the means-I made sure of that. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what I was thinking of doing to Mathew Knight was neither honorable nor necessary. It served no higher purpose than to fit my own gain. Could I do it? Could I force myself to ruin a man's career and reputation?

"Naomi?"

It was Saturday night and Addy and I were alone, sitting in the shadows at Proctor and Sool. Addy's car was parked in the alley behind us for a quick getaway should the need arise. But the street was empty as the night sky, and not a breath of wind stirred around us.

"Naomi, are you ok?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, sorry. I'm fine."

"You're distracted. You're still thinking about that conniving tramp, aren't you?"

"Well if you mean Eve, then yeah... among other things." I scanned the street for signs of Claire's car. It was only minutes to one.

Addy exhaled. "Mimi, how many more times should I tell you I think this is a bad idea?"

"Another ten times on top of the other fifty attempts and then your advice should stick. And are you really gonna start calling me that now?"

"Yes. Pay attention. You've got way too much on your plate without throwing psycho ex-girlfriends into the mix. Forget that crazy bitch! Eve needs to get over Ethan and find a hobby or an orgasm, like, yesterday. Ethan's your Champion. That's a blood bond. You can't go against blood."

"Ethan is not blood, Ethan is a speed bump," I corrected.

"Well, regardless, he isn't a problem you're gonna solve anytime soon. And if he finds out you're gunning for his dad, I guarantee you our little 'speed bump' will turn into a mountain-a really, really big one."

"He won't find out because we aren't going to tell him, Addy," I said. "And I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to go through with it. I'm simply... keeping my options open. That's all."

"Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't even care about Eve if it wasn't for Tidus?" Addy peered at me through suspicious eyes. "I mean, where the hell does he come off accusing you of potential murder, and then turning around and asking you to sabotage your own Leadership? Mimi, he's using you."

"I know that," I took a deep breath. "I know he's using me. But I'm trying to use that to my advantage. Tidus has it in for Charles--he wants him out as badly as I do. And with protection from the Council, I think I can actually make that happen. Addy, I thought you wanted change--"

"And I do," insisted my friend, cross. "But that's not the issue." She looked away for a moment, trying to catch and hold the last of her patience. "I trust you, Mimi. I trust you when you say that my father's position in the Leadership is safe, just like you trust me when I say that I would never narc on you to your grandfather. But I don't believe--not for one second-that we can trust Tidus. You know, he used to be on the Vampire Council. Did he even tell you why he's not anymore?"