Chapter Eleven, Part Three - Bad Girls

After Mr. Frank's office was put to rights we locked the doors behind us and took our leave. We made our way across the darkened street and to the alley where our cars were parked. It had been a long night, but however disappointing I couldn't say it wasn't eventful. 

"So," I said. "What's in the cards for you now, Claire? After all, sixty grand is a lot of money."

"You're right. It is." She grinned. "And it's more than enough to get me out of this soul-sucking job. As of right now, I quit. I'm done slaving for Jeremy. With this money, now I have enough to go home and think about leaving this weird, crazy town. My mother lives in Hasting--it might be good for the kids, ya know?"

"Of course." I stuck out my hand and she shook it. "You're right--you should leave Harbor. You'll do better on the outside. And thank you, again, Claire. For what it's worth, I'm sorry it had to be this way. I hope you understand."

"Nope." Claire smiled again and shook her head. "Thank you. Naomi, you just gave me my life back. I'll always be grateful for that. And good luck with the lawsuit. I hope you kick your mom's ass in court. She sounds like a real piece of work."

"That she is."

"Well, take care girls. It's been real--maybe too real."

"So long, Sally." Adelle saluted Claire who responded by cheerfully flipping Addy the double bird as she walked backwards to her car. "What's the plan, Stan?" Addy leaned against the trunk of her car and stretched her model legs. "What's next on the agenda?"

"Well..." I sent my thoughts ahead to the future. "I have to visit the triplets next week. Plus I've got a meeting with the Leadership Monday, and then the gala is after that." I shook my head, feeling miserable. "I don't even have a dress yet. I mean, I know I've got plenty of time left, but it feels like things will just keep popping up and I'll forget to buy one."

"Hmm..." Addy frowned, thinking.

By this time, Claire had already driven off. The only memory of her existence was the smell of dissipating exhaust. She was free. Her past in Harbor was now a foot stone to a new future, and for this I envied her. My own future seemed to be filled with so much less hope and positivity than hers.

"How about I make a special trip to Saks on Monday?" said Addy. "I'll pick out a dress and put it in your closet as a surprise for next Saturday. Whaddaya think?"

"That would be effing awesome. Thank you, Addy."

I smiled and hugged my best friend. My life wasn't perfect and it was nowhere close to normal, but Harbor Village was the first time I'd ever been truly happy. In the past bad things had always come along to screw up my happiness. But I prayed that this time, in this town, things would finally be different.

* * *