Chapter Twelve, Part Two - Protect And Serve

I was still chowing down on a muffin when we left for the Leadership meeting. Ethan sped around corners and revved through yellow lights but I knew we would still be late. At least we made it to the Maison in one piece–despite the fact that Ethan drove like a madman.

"Leader Noble, Champion Knight." Like always, Annie, the rude waitress gone nice, was there to greet us. She unlocked the familiar wooden door behind her small counter and closed it behind us.

We were left in a small room that nothing inside but a silver elevator and two equally small tables. Each table top sported a vase with thin, purple flowers–the only splash of color to offset the walls and floor. It was just like my Vampire-hating grandfather to use verbena for decoration. "I hate that we have to be locked in here." I shook my head at the bare walls. Besides the flowers, the room was almost pure white and void of anything ornamental. "Without the tables and the flowers and the elevator this room could be used as an instrument of torture."

"Channeling your inner Adelle, are we?" Ethan pressed the white button on the panel beside the elevator. There was a soft whirring as motors and pulleys sprang to life, followed by a ding as the door opened.

"After you," said Ethan. Sticking out my tongue, I obliged. Standing beneath the greenish-yellow lights of the elevator, we descended through thousands of feet of the earth's crust. Like always, my forehead began to sweat and my heart began to hammer as a familiar wave of nausea and nervousness hit. I hated the idea of going belowground–it reminded me of coffins and death. I bit my lip and shut my eyes, trying to quell the irrational fear.

"Are you ok?" Ethan whispered in the dim lighting of the two electric lamps on the ceiling.

"I admit, I could be better." I said, without opening my eyes.

He rubbed my back in firm, gentle circles as I bent over and placed my hands on my knees. I focused on my breathing, willing myself to remain calm and not panic. I was part Wolf damnit! Yet it happened every time...

Eventually the elevator slowed, the doors slid open, and we were free. Embarrassed, I emerged into the brightness, inwardly cursing as I stumbled.

Inside the official office of the Leadership a lengthy, U-shaped table occupied much of the room. A massive flat screen hung on the wall in plain view of the table. The TV was off at the moment, but it's blank, glossy screen reflected the white, paneled walls and the framed photographs of past Elders and Alphas. Charles was framed, and so was my father, along with the current Leaders. Something about the room's air left an invisible tension that could make men straighten ties and women button blouses.

The other members were already seated and engaged in small talk, but the chatter ceased once Ethan and I made our entrance. Charles sat in the middle of the table. To his right was Sofia and at his left was Mr. Newport. Lucas was to the left of him, and Ethan's dad was to Sophia's right. This left two seats open – and both were next to Mathew Knight.

"Leader Noble, Champion Knight, you're almost getting good at being on time," said Sofia. She watched us with cat-like amusement. The fear from the elevator rapidly evolved into resentment. I chuckled extra loudly with her until she squirmed in her seat.

"You know, I will always cherish the original misconceptions I had about you, Leader Devila." I gave her a pleasant smile and took my seat before she could work out what I'd real meant.

Meanwhile, the Elder appeared as aloof and commanding as always, and Lucas was his regular, smoldering self. Mr. Newport pushed up his glasses and smiled at Ethan and me with the kind of understanding and pity that made you feel guilty for not behaving more professionally. And then there was Mathew–who bypassed me completely to exchange roguish looks with his son.