Chapter Seven, Part Four - Business As Usual

After returning home to shower and change, responsibility and just overall good judgment drove me to visit my grandparents. The growing animosity I had for Charles, coupled with the mixed feelings of hope and distrust I had for Diane, were enough to remind me that it wouldn't do to skip town before speaking with them. If I planned on swaying the Leadership to my favor, I knew that had to appeal to those who were most powerful within it - including Diane. She may not have been a member of the Leadership, but as the Elder's wife she remained a powerful figurehead to the Garou. Staying on her good side was very, very important.

"Naomi, it's so good to see you, dear." Diane greeted me with her familiar hug and smile after the maid showed me into the living room.

"Diane," I warmly replied. "I noticed you weren't at the last gathering. Were you sick?"

She flashed a furtive smile and led me to a seat beside her on the couch. "Actually, I don't think I'll be attending the meetings anymore. It's the politics of it - they were never really my taste. But your grandfather has been very understanding."

"Oh, that he is. It's no wonder the Garou are so loyal to him."

Ok. So I was laying it on thick. But that's what Diane wanted and frankly it was easy to give. She wanted me to play the loving, sensitive role of granddaughter. Maybe it assuaged her guilt at never reaching out over the years, or maybe it simply made her happy - I still couldn't tell.

But what I did know, was that as timid as she may have appeared, Diane was still Wolf and we are all cunning beasts. We could've been playing one another at the same time for all I knew. So for now I would continue to have Verbana-spiked tea with her at the Maison, look through all of those dusty photo albums, and cater to each of her grandmotherly whims. It was the only way I felt in control.

"So you wouldn't happen to have any more of your special tea, would you?" I smiled. "I think I'm starting to like it."

Surprisingly, that was really the truth. Verbana wasn't so terrible in tea-as long as it was served either hot or extremely cold. Lukewarm and I'd feel sick for hours.

Diane chuckled. "Yes, it is an acquired taste isn't it? I make it with a special herb, but unfortunately I'm out at the moment. Your grandfather is rather fond of it too."

"Where is he, by the way? I was hoping to catch him before I had to leave."

"I'm sorry dear, Charles went to Hasting this morning on business. He won't be home until Friday."

"Oh. Well, his trip wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the Witches would it? The ones performing the sacrifices?"

Diane blanched, revealing a countenance far too fair and delicate for such a heavy word as "sacrifice".

"I'm sorry-Witches? If he knew about it I hadn't heard... Naomi, where did you happen to come by this information, if you don't mind my asking?"

Diane was obviously trying very hard not to lose her perfect mien. Apparently hubby-darling had left out a few minor details of his business trip, and judging by the strained look on her face, Diane wasn't happy about it. I suppressed the urge to smile.

"Charles mentioned it to Mathew last night," I replied, purposefully omitting Ethan's name. "And if he really went away to deal with Witches, I can't help but feel worried for him. It sounds a little dangerous-"

"Oh, I wouldn't concern yourself, dear," Diane quickly assured. "Charles is quite capable of handling himself; he's probably trying to assist Harbor's Elder in a little damage control. Creating cover-ups for the Humans are always tricky; Sometimes other Packs come together to deal with it."

"True... thought it's strange that he wouldn't ask the other Leaders to join him. But I bet he's just being... noble."

"Of course." Her smile was falsely cheerful. "We've had trouble with Witches in the past and Charles has always dealt with it swiftly. Sometimes he prefers to deal with things in his own way."

Yeah, tell that to the other Leaders I thought. And as a matter of fact, I probably would at the very next meeting. After all, the fact that Charles would short his own Leaders out of important knowledge about the Witches was something the others should probably know... Leaving such details from his wife was one thing, but hiding this from the Leadership was as equally unwise.

"Well, grandmother, as always, it was really nice seeing you." I stood from my seat. "In case he comes home early, can you let Charles know that I went out of town for a couple days to help out a friend? I'll drop by again when I come home."

"Take care, dear." Diane rose too. Though her visage wasn't nearly as warm as it had been upon my arrival she still managed to give me a tight hug. "I'm so glad you're getting to know others, but you'll stay wary for me, won't you?"

"Always. Diane... is everything ok?" For the first time it occurred to me that perhaps Diane had sent the mysterious note.

"Of course. It's just that real loyalty is so hard to come by in this town. You need to be careful who you trust."

Truer advice my grandmother never gave.

* * *