¢нαρтєя 20

Chapter 20

"Love sucks"

I felt myself being shaken awake the next day. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Julia standing above me. "Hey," I said and rubbed my eyes. "Shouldn't you be at school sweetheart?" She asked. "I wanted to stay here for today" I said. "Just in case she wakes up" I said and looked back at my mom. She still looked as if she was sleeping but she really wasn't. She was unconscious and she wasn't technically here with me. "Where's your brother?" She asked. "I dropped him off at school this morning" I said and yawned. "Honey, you should have gone to school" She said. I shrugged and laid back down in the very uncomfortable chair. "I didn't want my mom waking up alone" I said and pulled the blanket over myself.

"Liv, I'm going to tell you something, and this may upset you..Okay...but I'm telling you this because I feel that you deserve to know" She said. I nodded. "I have a feeling your mom isn't going to wake up until after surgery" She said. I looked back at my mom and felt some tears starting to form."There's too much going on up there, and her brain is trying to heal itself" She said. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. "Do you think she knew? About the tumor" I said still keeping my eyes on my mom. "I'm not sure, but she may have gotten headaches and thought it was nothing" She said. "Are the headaches severe?" I asked. "They can be" She said and patted my leg. "How long are people usually in a coma for?" I asked. "There isn't a certain time that they're in a coma for, Liv" She said. "We can't say when they'll wake up, and there's no medicine to help them wake up either" She said. I sighed. Couldn't she just wake up? For Cole, Nikki and I?

"Knock knock" I heard someone say. I knew that voice. Oh lord help me now. I sighed in annoyance once I saw my aunt and cousin standing at the door. "Hey Livy, how you doing?" Katrina asked. "Fine" I said. "She's a little tired, right now" Julia said and smiled. "Hello Julia," Aunt May said and hugged Julia. "How are you doing" Julia asked. "I was shocked when I heard the news" Aunt May said. "Thanks for telling us, Liv" Katrina said. You can leave. I held in my glare. "Katrina, stop it. It wasn't her fault" Aunt May said. "I'm only joking, mom" She said. Sure she was. Geez I hated her. Julia and my aunt began to talk and Katrina stared at my mom. I continued to look at her, suddenly Katrina looked at me. "You look like you had a rough night" She said. "Good observation" I said and she rolled her eyes. "Seriously Olivia? I've been nothing but nice to you, and you just have to continue to say rude things to me" Is she being serious? I ignored her.

I ran a hand through my hair and stood up from the chair. Katrina waited for a response, but scoffed when she realized that I wasn't going to give her one. I looked at myself in the mirror, yikes. I really did look like I had a rough night. I attempted to fix my hair and rubbed my eyes again. I barely got any sleep last night. Thanks to Mason for walking out on me after I decided to pour my heart out to him. Plus I have my mom to worry about. What if I woke up to a flat line and doctors screaming at me to get up. That would be my worst nightmare. I could feel Katrina staring at me. Once again I decided to ignore her and looked at my Aunt May. I heard my stomach growl, maybe I should go get some food somewhere. I didn't have any more money on me, and there was only some in my school bag. Which was in the car. Perfect.

I picked up my phone from the table and saw that I had a text from Maddie in the group chat.
'Livy where are you?'
I decided to ignore it, and locked my phone. I shoved it in my back pocket and looked up at the people talking in front of me. "I'm going to get something to eat, I'll be back soon" I said and walked towards the door. It swung open, almost hitting me and I was expecting to see a doctor in front of me, but instead I saw Mason. "Liv" He said and licked his lips. "Here, I brought you food" He said. He brought me food? "I thought you'd be hungry" He said. "Aren't you supposed to be at school?" I asked. He shrugged. "Don't tell my mom, I skipped the rest of the day" He said. "Mason?" I heard Julia say from behind me. "Mom!" He said in a panicked voice. "What are you doing here?" She asked. "Why aren't you at school?" She asked. "I brought Liv food" Mason said. "How thoughtful, now get back" She said.

"I sort of already told the office I wouldn't be back for today" I said. "You what" She said. "I thought that it would be okay, since, I sort of need to talk to Liv.. and she needs me and-" "I do not need you" I said. Mason looked down at me. "Yes you do" He said. "No I don't, I can take care of myself" I said. "Well you seemed like you needed me now, I brought you food, and I'll even take you home to shower" He said. "I don't want you to do that for me. I can do it myself" I said. "I'm trying to be nice here, Liv" He said. "Liv, just let him take you home for gods sake" Katrina said. I turned around and glared at her. "I didn't ask for your opinion Katrina. And if you could butt out of our conversation that be great" I said. Katrina rolled her eyes. "I don't need people to look after me, I'm fine on my own" I said and walked out of the room.

"Hey, Liv!" Mason shouted. I felt someone grab my arm and turn me around. "You need a friend right now, so stop pushing me away" He said. "I don't need a friend Mason, I have many friends" I said. "And where are they? At school? Did your friends bring you food? I don't think they did" He said. "They don't know what's going on" I said. "A real friend would" He said. "I'm your real friend, Liv. So drop this stupid act" He said. "What act? What are you talking about" I said. "This, pretending to not want to be my friend anymore" He said. "Because I know you do" He said. "Mason I don't want to be friends! Get that through your head!" I shouted. Mason seemed as if he swallowed something hard. Like he was trying to fight back the tears.

I felt like I wanted to cry. I felt embarrassed, and weak. And Mason shouting at me isn't helping the situation. I ran a hand through my hair and tried to avoid his eye contact. "I'm trying to get over you" I whispered. If I talked in my normal voice, it would have cracked and that would have made me look even weaker then I already look. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "And you being around me 24/7 isn't helping" I said. "Liv look at me" Mason said. I didn't look at him, I didn't want too. "Liv" Mason said more forcefully this time. He grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. His eyes softened once he realized that my eyes were watery. "I can't just let go of you" He said tears started to roll down my cheeks. "You're my best friend" He said. I wiped the tears from my face and Mason took his hand away.

"I'm fighting for you" He said. More tears came out. "Doesn't that mean something to you?" He asked. "It means a lot," I said. "But seeing you with her, causes me to be in pain" I said. I searched his eyes for something, anything. "She doesn't even treat you right Mace" I whispered. He wiped my tears away with the pad of his thumb. "Livy, I don't treat her right either" He said. "I know this, but, I can't help it" He said. "I-I can't stay hooked onto one person for a long period of time" He said. "But, we kept our friendship for a long period of time, how is being in a relationship any different?" I asked. "Liv" Mason said and took my hands. "You're beautiful, okay" He said and licked his lips. "I'm just not your guy" He said. I felt even more tears drip down my cheeks. "I don't deserve someone as beautiful, and smart, and caring as you" He said and wiped the tears. He cupped my face with both of his hands and looked straight into my eyes.

"But someone out there does. And whoever that is, will be the luckiest man in the entire world" He said softly. "I do care about you, a lot actually. But I can't be with you" He said. "I'll just hurt you" He said. "You deserve a lot better" He said. "I don't want anyone else but you" I said. "Liv I'm sorry" He breathed. I wiped my eyes and sniffed. "I'm sorry for leaving you yesterday, I'm sorry for being such a shitty friend and I'm sorry for not liking you back" He said. "I'll give you some time to think, but I really would like to be friends again" He said. I bit my lip and sniffed again. "I'll come back tomorrow" He said and then turned around and left.

« PrevNext »