Golden Butterfly (ch. 16)

Our gazes locked for a cold second and everything froze over for a moment. 

What just happened? Did Zero just....attack the kids? what.....

"You said to come to you when we see a bad guy nee-chan!" the oldest said.

"But we said we'd protect you!" the techy one said.

I smiled at them but then suddenly turned it around to a frown. I couldn't let this slide even though I found it awesome. I lectured myself. What if it was an agent? "So you went to a random person and decided to attach them?" I chided. 

the shifted their feet and looked on the ground, "No, he was walking to you so we thought he was trying to kidnap you," 

Suddenly I was violently shaken off and Zero said, "I see, children? Really? Them next?" 

"What do you mean by 'you see'?!" I asked, "see what, Zero?"

"Should I explain everything you're just too shameful to admit?" Zero asked, confusing me.

"Explain to me then, Zero! That's what I'm asking! Tell me what I'm suppose to know!" I pushed, trying to reel in his understanding. 

"I don't have to explain your actions!" Zero said, "Geez, I can't believe everyone is sticking up for you when the only thing I've seen you do is kill!" 

I hear whimpering behind me. "N-nee-chan! Y-you're fighting just like mommy and daddy!" one of them cried.

I just search Zero's infuriated eyes, reflecting my own anger. "You know Zero, I thought there was a limit to how thick people can get, but something in you just wanted to prove me wrong, huh? Well congratulations,"

Turning around, I crouched down to meet them eye level, "Don't cry, I bought you guys something. It'll make you warm."

"N-nee-chan, *hiccup* is *hiccup, hiccup* fighting with the bad guy!" Ai-chan cried, trying to wipe away tears with a wet hand. I wiped them away and said, "Here, You guys are cold, I bought you guys something, a present from nee-chan,"

Bringing out the scarves I wrapped them around each of heir necks. I was glad I happen to specifically pick this vendor because she had particularly lengthy scarves that used really soft comfortable thick yarn. it was almost like an individual blanket for each of them.

Their cries were reduced to small sniffles and I turned around to still see Zero on the spot, looking down at the children and back to me. I wanted to ignore him, but I couldn't loose the chance to mock him, "Is there something you want to say?" I tested my patience, along with his.

"These children aren't yours," he pointedly said. I slowly nodded, "Really? I didn't notice," 

Turning back to them, I sighed and said, "Go over there and get your hot chocolate and pocky sticks, nee-chan's a superhero," hoping I gave them a good smile, I said, "Better run and see who gets the most chocolate, I'll be there in a few minutes,"

The five reluctantly took off, realizing their warmth was more important than their new sister and the cold pouring rain.

"Why did you kidnap them? They're only children, or were you going to raise a bunch of little assassins like you?" Zero assumed.

Clearing my throat, I put my hands in the pockets of the Skye's jacket, closing my hands around the small item, "Before you assume and make a fool out of yourselves, I found those children in the forest up that hill. Skye, Blaze and I had the upper hands and were about to run to our designated shelter but I heard the children crying," I explained softly and slowly.