Tree House Slumber

Start from the beginning

"You don't say. Mr. Harris almost saw me, so I took a dive into the grass. I'll be fine." Bristle explained, though her eyes darted from Michelle's.

When she looked up Bristle could tell Michelle wasn't buying it. It was confirmed when Michelle tugged off her coat and unstrapped her oversized ski pants, handing them both to Bristle. Her now exposed long sleeve pink shirt and fury Dora pajama pants began shaking.

Michelle shrugged her black backpack off, and searched it. Within seconds, Michelle yanked yet another winter coat. This one was red with extra fur on the hooded part. Just as quickly, as she took her winter coat off, she pulled the red one over her arms.

"I know if you complain, just even once, someone will give you the hypocrite card. In specification, Shelby and Cammi," Michelle, just like Bristle did, crammed her armpit length, jet black in her brown and blue wool hat, "so here's me being a friend."

Bristle smiled, while they walked to her quiet backyard."What would I do without you? Thank God for those five years of Bachlee friendship torture," when Michelle scoffed, Bristle smirked, "kidding, totally kidding."

Above the two, muffled voices grew louder and louder. Smacking her forehead, Bristle shook it. Her cheeks turned a rosy color, as her face heated yet again.

"Let's just wait for the girls at the treehouse," Bristle said, grabbing ahold of Michelle's arm and tugging it forward.

"Wait, is that-"

"Oh my God, your parents are up there doing it, while you're being a rebel, this is sweet!" a feminine voice rejoiced.

Both Michelle and Bristle faced a pencil thin, leaned frame girl in a black winter coat and pink themed pajamas. Her bra length hair resting at her sides, as she giggled loudly. Both arms held onto her stomach as if it were the funniest thing ever.

Bristle's already heated cheeks, intensified at the scene, while the voices continued. She frowned at her house before stalking away, "Fine, get caught Lei. It was your stupid idea anyway."

Lei Thao, her best friend as well. Another girl also attending the sleepover. She planned it, while Bristle's bright idea was to have it in her treehouse. A decision Bristle regretted, for obvious reasons.

"Oh, that's just gross," Michelle said after a few seconds.

Before Bristle made it to the wooden steps, Lei rushed to her side. She wrapped an arm around Bristle's neck, "Calm down, calm down. You've heard my parents before. Besides when I leave tomorrow, you'll miss me. All of you will. Vietnam isn't America's cousin."

The three girls hurried up the steps into Bristle's warm tree house. The treehouse was midnight dark, as planned the trio gathered their candles, lanterns, and flashlights. Placing each in a random place of the small tree house, the girls began lighting the house light by light. Soon it was fully lit enough for them to navigate around, without bumping into something or one another.

Afterwards, Michelle and Lei began turning on the wireless heaters, while Bristle looked out the window just in time to see her parents' bedroom light being shut off. Her body shuddered at the visual image that had came to mind.

"Hey Bris, I know you like seeing headboards being broken and all, but why don't you come over here and give us some body heat." Lei called.

Bristle took a deep breath, before looking over her shoulders, and replying, "It's because I'm fat, isn't it?"

It wasn't a secret that Bristle had a little more weight on her, than the rest of her friends. She was a twelve year old that weighed in at 150 lb. The thing was though, Bristle was a skinny kid up until fourth grade, then the weight just kept coming and coming. She didn't know how to stop it.