Chapter 31

Sebastian and Luisa watched from a distance, hiding among the bustling members of the market. Luisa noticed the subtle shift in his demeanor. Sebastian, his gaze fixed on Katherine, sighed deeply. "Sometimes memories are the worst form of torture," he shared quietly with Luisa as the golden retriever walked deeper into the crowd.

Luisa, sensing the ache in Sebastian's heart, offered a comforting touch. "Shhh, it's okay. I'm here," she reassured him.

Emmyth led Katherine back to the wagon, weaving through the dwindling market as the setting sun cast long shadows across the stalls.

"Shhh! They spent all morning on horseback, then an afternoon at the market, and now this, and not so much as a peck on the cheek! This is bad news," Luisa exclaimed urgently, her eyes darting between Katherine and Emmyth.

"They are running out of time," Nora interjected, her tone laced with concern as she exchanged a quick glance with Celeste, who was perched on her shoulder. "Three days, and this is the first time they have gone out together," Nora continued, as though Celeste were communicating with her.

"Sebastian, feeling the urgency in the air, wasted no time. "We have to do something quickly!" he declared, determination etched across his face. Without another word, he broke away from the group, swift as a shadow, and dashed back towards the castle to urgently discuss the situation with the king.

The market, now bathed in the warm hues of the setting sun, began to quiet down as vendors packed away their wares. Katherine and Emmyth rode back to the vineyard on the wagon.