Chapter 10

Claudette was engaged in a quiet conversation with Luisa. Katherine sat in a corner of her lavishly decorated bedroom, nestled by the ornate vanity. Her shoulders were slumped, her hands tightly clenched, and her breaths came in ragged gasps as tears cascaded down her cheeks. The room emanated an air of sophistication, adorned with plush velvet curtains that cascaded gracefully from the towering windows. The walls were dressed in tapestries depicting scenes from far-off lands, and the shelves held delicate porcelain figurines and well-worn books.

Katherine, with her tousled hair and tear-streaked face, contrasted her surroundings. Her eyes, usually bright with life, were clouded with tears. Each tear that escaped her eyes carried with it a silent story. The vanity before her displayed an array of trinkets—silver hairpins, a vintage hand mirror, and a row of perfume bottles that carried scents of lavender and jasmine—all ignored.

Her sobs, raw and unrestrained, echoed in the air, a haunting melody of sorrow that pierced the silence around her. Sebastian's heart ached as he watched her.

"Katherine," Claudette said softly, her voice blending in with the gentle rustle of the silk curtains stirred by the breeze. She moved a plush cushion from a nearby chaise to the floor. Katherine laid her head on Claudette's shoulder and rubbed her back as she cried into her arms.

"He doesn't understand me! He doesn't even try," she sobbed, her voice trembling with emotion. Her sobs echoed in the room, a haunting melody of sorrow that reverberated against the walls.

With each heave of her chest, the weight of her words hung heavy in the air, like storm clouds gathering on the horizon. Tears tarnished her face, flowing uncontrollably down her cheeks in a path of anguish. Her body convulsed with each sob.
Luisa glanced at the antique oil paintings that adorned the walls. Each one told a story of the kingdom's history, a stark contrast to the turmoil in the present moment. As she surveyed the paintings, Luisa's gaze fell upon Sebastian, who stood quietly at the door, a steadfast presence amidst the tumultuous sea of emotions. His mere presence brought a sense of reassurance; he nodded as he caught her gaze. The room itself seemed to absorb the weight of Katherine's emotions.

"Home is where your family is, isn't it?" Luisa questioned, her gaze wandering over the delicately embroidered bedspread and the intricately carved bedside tables.

"What if... home isn't the place where you were born? What if... it's a place you have to discover for yourself?" Katherine's voice trembled, her words punctuated by sobs that seemed to echo through the room. Each syllable cracked with emotion.

Lavender floated through the air, its calming aroma mixed with the tension that hovered in the room as Sebastian approached them, a mixture of pity and resolve engraved across his features.

Katherine's tears flowed freely now, her body shaking with the intensity of her sobs. Each breath she took seemed to catch in her throat, a desperate attempt to contain the flood of emotions threatening to engulf her.

Her hands trembled as she clutched at the fabric of her dress. The tears streamed down her cheeks, leaving trails of glistening moisture in their wake.

"I don't think home is necessarily a place," Claudette said, her voice soft and comforting as she continued to rub Katherine's back gently. Her fingers momentarily caught on the intricate lace of Katherine's gown.

"I think it can also be people. I would miss you if you were gone," Claudette finished, her words like a gentle embrace. Luisa nodded in agreement, her eyes sweeping over the framed sketches of Katherine's childhood adventures that adorned the walls, each one a testament to the cherished memories they had shared together.

"You would?" Katherine asked, her voice still tinged with traces of tears as she sniffed and rubbed her nose—the remnants of her earlier distress. "Daddy has never even met a Genasi, but he still thinks the worst of them."