Chapter 13

TW: jealousy

As the sun filtered through the windows of the castle, Chloe and Claudette worked diligently polishing the silverware after the courtiers departed from breakfast.

"Have you noticed, Claudette, how Sebastian's been spending a lot of time with you lately?" Chloe inquired, her voice laced with concern.

Claudette paused, her movements momentarily faltering as she glanced towards the figure of Sebastian conversing with the nobles in the distant corner of the room. "Oh, have I? I hadn't really thought about it," she replied, attempting to maintain an air of nonchalance.

Chloe shot her a knowing glance. "Come on, Claudette. Don't play coy with me. I've seen the way he looks at you."

Claudette's brow furrowed in confusion, her fingers tracing patterns on the polished silver as she pondered Chloe's words. "Whatever do you mean?"

"Well, let's just say Captain Sebastian has a reputation," Chloe explained, her voice lowering to a solemn whisper. "Once he's had his fill of a woman, he's quick to move on to the next one. You don't want to end up with a broken heart."

A shadow of concern crossed Claudette's features, her reflection caught in the gleaming surface of a silver platter. "I see... Thank you for the warning, Chloe. I'll keep that in mind."

As Chloe gathered the gleaming silverware into her arms, preparing to carry it back to the kitchen, she glanced over her shoulder and noticed Sebastian making his way towards Claudette. The polished floor reflected his confident stride, and the sunlight seemed to dance around him.

Sebastian's gaze fixed on Claudette, a charming smile playing at the corners of his lips as he closed the distance between them. Claudette's cheeks flushed faintly as she turned her attention towards him.

Chloe observed the interaction with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension, her footsteps slowing as she watched from a discreet distance. Sebastian's smooth voice carried across the room, mingling with the soft murmur of conversation.

"Good morning, Claudette," Sebastian greeted, his tone warm and inviting. "I hope your day is as lovely as you are." She couldn't contain her smile.

"Have you seen Katherine anywhere?" Sebastian's voice carried across the room, breaking through the ambient hum of activity.

Claudette shook her head, her thoughts momentarily drifting back to this morning, where she and Luisa had shared breakfast in Katherine's chambers. She felt a slight pang of guilt for not mentioning it, but something in her gut told her to keep quiet. She made a mental note to check Katherine's chambers later.

As Sebastian continued his search, his commanding presence weaving through the courtiers and servants with practiced ease, Claudette's mind buzzed with speculation.

As Chloe returned to the grand hall to retrieve more dishes, she found Claudette still standing in the same spot where they had spoken earlier, her gaze distant and troubled. Chloe approached her with a disapproving frown etched on her face.

"Still standing around, Claudette? I thought you had chores to attend to," Chloe remarked sharply.

Claudette flinched at the harshness of Chloe's words, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "I was just..." she stammered, struggling to find an excuse.

But Chloe cut her off with a dismissive wave of her hand. "Never mind. That's not what I wanted to talk to you about," she continued, her voice dripping with disdain.

"Did you give yourself to him?" Chloe's question hung in the air like a damning accusation, her eyes boring into Claudette with a mixture of scorn and disappointment. Claudette looked away.