Chapter 37

"Hey, Kaede, I've cooked. Do you want anything?" asked her father's new partner, who was standing in the kitchen. "No, thanks. I've got a date with Dai." Kaede declined the offer and tried to be as friendly as possible, as she really wanted to keep trying.

"Oh, I see. He hasn't been here for a long time. Why don't you invite him to dinner?" the woman smiled. "I'll tell him." came back Kaede, smiling slightly as she put on her shoes, took the key and left the house.

It had been quite a long time since she had been able to see Dai in person. With all the school and hobbies, there were hardly any free weekends when the couple could meet up. Dai belonged to the soccer club at his school and was currently one of the best strikers. Apart from training, his grades were very important to him, which Kaede had noticed especially in the last year.

Basically, he studied as often and as much as Chika. However, Dai's grades were nowhere near as good as those of her best friend. Kaede had come to accept this term and used it herself. There was no point in thinking about the past and who she should call her best friend. Kazumi certainly wouldn't be angry.

Not far from her home, a tall brown-haired boy stood at the small train station, which Kaede could easily reach on foot. She kept wondering how many more times he was going to grow.

"Sorry I'm late. My...well, stepmother kept me." Kaede apologized. Her father was not yet married to her. However, Kaede didn't know how else to describe this woman in short words.

"It's okay, I won't wait long." smiled Dai, who had leaned down and kissed her. "Your hair is a bit longer again." , the high school student noted immediately and took one of her strands in his fingers.

"And you've grown taller." came a similar observation. "You could easily be a basketball player."

Dai laughed softly. "I actually prefer football." he said and took her hand in his. The couple walked around the small town together, as they couldn't do too much anyway, since Dai had to drive back a few hours. That's why Kaede often took the chance to look at her boyfriend for as long as she could.

Today he was wearing a dark gray shirt with a white sports jacket over it. His trousers were a normal black color, while his shoes were white like the jacket. Almost the way sportsmen would dress, actually.

Her eyes turned to his face. Through his short hair, Kaede could see his eyes clearly from the side. Kaede had always found his eyes admirable and rare. They were orange in color and shimmered particularly brightly in the sun. Although many were sometimes frightened by his gaze, he was a loving person.

He knew exactly what she had been through and what had happened. However, Kaede had never really spoken about her feelings, but rather waved them away. She didn't know why, but somehow she had never managed to talk to Dai about it.

Sometimes she wondered why he was still by her side. Dai was incredibly good-looking, and had been since middle school. Many girls had wanted to get into a relationship with him, but he had pushed them away every time.

Dai had chosen Kaede right from the start. She stood up for the weaker ones, but also showed a calm and thoughtful side. Dai had always loved watching his girlfriend read or write. Especially when Kaede had withdrawn into this subject in middle school. As if she no longer wanted to talk to anyone.

"You've been invited to dinner, by the way. I should tell you that." Kaede broached the subject. "I would if I didn't have to go back the same day." Dai exhaled and gripped her hand a little tighter.

Her brown-green eyes turned to the sidewalk as several young men approached. A slight smirk came to her lips as she realized his reaction. "Jealous, are you?" she asked him.

"It annoys me when you have to be on that volleyball team." Dai grumbled. Kaede sometimes found his jealousy really cute. But she hoped that this wouldn't really work out.

"Chika and Megumi are managers now. That's the only reason I have to deal with them a bit more often now. But I've already finished the texts for the magazines. I just have to hand them in." Kaede said, so that Dai wouldn't go off on anyone else. One of his bad qualities. Although, Kazumi had once said that Dai seemed a bit toxic to her. Kaede never knew why.

"But that Atsumu really upsets me!" Kaede scolded, which almost made Dai laugh. "He was that airhead, wasn't he?" he asked. "Yes! And that idiot always calls me a backpack thrower! I was only helping Chika!"

Slightly amused, Dai shook his head. Sometimes his girlfriend really got out of her book world and could get upset about many things. In his opinion, she should have this trait more often.