Chapter 27

A gentle stroke over her hair was a gesture that Kaede had not felt for a long time. This familiar feeling, which she had always had with her as a small child, made her heart beat more calmly. Before her mother died, her grandmother had always been there for her. She didn't have Alzheimer's yet, which took those memories away from her.

As a small child, such a caregiver was something very important. Her father was hardly ever at home at the time, which is why her grandma was always by her side and always stroked her head.

"So much has happened..." Kaede said, not even knowing where to begin. "I...met two girls who are more similar than I first thought. They share a similar problem and exchange their worries. One of them is even almost like Kazumi." Kaede began to speak in order to get her thoughts in order.

"They want to help me with the book. But...I didn't even get there when mother died..." she admitted. To be honest, she wasn't even halfway there until she did.

"You were always a carefree girl. Sometimes I caught you being completely absent and in your own world. In the end, we found out that you made up lots of stories and wrote them down on paper. From then on, we knew that you loved writing." her grandmother began to say as she continued to stroke her hair.

"But you rarely talked about your feelings because you put them into words." So had she always been the way she was behaving right now? She had never noticed anything like that, nor had anyone told her. Not even her boyfriend when they first met.

"If you get stuck and you have no one to talk to, write all your feelings down on a piece of paper without looking to see if you've written everything correctly." "But...how am I supposed to get over everything? How...am I supposed to forget everything and deal with it?" Kaede asked, humming into her hospital clothes.

"Never forget anything that has happened. Don't forget the people who have to do with you. Don't forget their feelings and yours, which will always take you further. You learn from mistakes and events in order to grow. You'll never get over them, but you can remember the good things and make things better." her grandma spoke softly. "Never forget the people you love."

Kaede bit her lower lip firmly. Her grandma was clearly referring to herself. "One day you will be able to open up to someone who will help you through this time. Until then, write and learn from all that has passed."

Swallowing and sniffling softly, Kaede detached herself from her chest and felt a hand on her cheek. "Even if I forget this conversation here. I'll always be by your side and take care of you."

Kaede laughed, crying slightly. "Actually, I should be taking care of you..." A smirk came to her grandma's lips. "A parent will always worry about their children. No matter what age they are. And you are my Kaede, whom I see as my own daughter."

"I...love you...grandma..." Kaede sobbed, placing her own hand on her grandma's. "I love you too, my little girl." replied the old woman, who had looked into the green-brown eyes before blinking immediately afterwards.

It had been a relief for Kaede to be here. It was a weight off her mind and a great burden that had probably kept her from writing. She should have talked to her grandma about it instead.

"Grandma...I..." Kaede began to say, as she wanted to thank her. But the slightly absent look on her face told her everything.

"Who are you?" came the question that almost made Kaede start crying. "An...acquaintance..." she smiled, not wanting to panic or scare her grandma.