Chapter 49

I felt anxious as I parked my car in the outskirts of the village. It was hard to go and face her. I was feeling nervous.

She has been a great friend to me. I liked her. I promised her. But what now?

It's just that I'm being ungrateful to her. I'm turning herself and her feelings down. She had literally begged me to talk to her parents about our marriage. I can do it but I cannot marry her by this year. Can I? When I'm back to school as a freaking teenager? When I had a major task tied at my back?

My eyes gazed around slowly for that one familiar face. There she was.. lonely at the Bridge side. She was looking somewhere else being lost deeply in thoughts.

I walked towards her with guilt and angst dripping through my nerves.

I stood before her and she slowly turned towards me with her eyes holding tears. Painful ones.

"Akanksh-" I start but she cut me off as she shoved something to my chest.

I look down at that when she started to walk away from me.

An invitation card.

"Akanksha! Stop!" I tried to run behind but she ran away to her car and ignited the engine. She drove away quick.

My steps faltered knowing I have no chance to explain myself. My heart ached looking at her tears.

I looked at the invitation card. Her wedding invitation card.

A thin film of tears formed in my eyes knowing I was the reason behind her misery. It is going to be held by the end of this month. Fuck it! I'm losing my mind.

I don't know how to manage all these at once. I have way more to resolve things with.

First Shyam.
Second Madhvi.
Third Akanksha.

With the mention of Madhvi, I remembered her eyes filled with hatred and disgust looking at me with disbelief. How she loathed my existence when she found me with the drug. I died that instance eventhough I don't know why. I don't know why I care about my impressions in her case. My mind is so fucked up. Maybe I should back off the mission I'm assigned for.

I looked at the invitation card.

Manish Mishra

Weds

Akanksha Sharma

    I released a sharp breathe before I head towards my office.

.
.
.
.
.

"Vir! Where have you been, child?" Grandma enquired me as I entered my home with my head down.

"Office.." I mumbled.

I looked at my little smurf whose head shot up with a questioning look like office?

I nodded at him.

"Come here.." she called me near her by patting the place on the sofa for me. But I sat down near her legs holding her knees.

I placed my head over her lap with a tired sigh. Without being asked for, she caressed my head.

"Vir.. what's bothering you?"

"Nothing grandma."

"If this job tires you so much, ask for a break na." She insisted.