Part 27

Tarini burst into the room, "Varu..." she began, but her words trailed off abruptly as she caught sight of Vara engrossed in a phone conversation, her expression serious and focused.

"Ho Nana, bara me baghte jamla tr yete rahayla" Vara said
(Yes, Nana. Maybe I will come and stay there)

Her words were met with a vehement response from Tarini, "What? NOOO!" Tarini's eyes widened in shock, and she lunged forward, her hand reaching out in a flash to grab the phone from Vara's grasp.

With a playful bounce, Vara pranced across the bed, her hand wagging in a commanding gesture as she narrowed her eyes and ordered Tarini to 'Stay put,'

Vara's expression turned concerned as she asked her uncle Govind "kahi nahi. Tai ali ahe. Bara baki sagle kase ahet?"
(Nothing. My sister is here. How is everyone at home now?)

"Bara kalavte me, tata" Vara ducked swiftly, avoiding Tarini's outstretched hand as she made another attempt to snatch the phone, and with a quick flick of her thumb, Vara disconnected the call.
(Ok. I will inform you soon. Bye)

Tarini's voice was low and deliberate, each word enunciated slowly and clearly, as if to ensure Vara understood the gravity of her statement: "You. Are. Not. Going. Anywhere."

Vara reasoned with Tarini, her voice laced with logic and desperation, "Mala jar ka office la jata yenar nasel tr mi ithe ka rahu? Gavcha ghari jate at least tithe mazhi madat hoil. Ithe ka rahu me" Vara tried to make her see sense.

(If I can't even go to the office, what's the point of staying here? At least back in our village, I can be of some use. Why should I waste away here, doing nothing, when I could be making a difference at home?)

Tarini's expression turned stern, her voice firm and authoritative, as she snapped, "Karan ithe me ahe. Tujhi bahin. You're staying right here with me, where it's safe and comfortable" Tarini snapped
(Because I am here. Your sister!)

Vara's eyes flashed with frustration, her voice rising in defiance, "Mag rahile ki khup divas ata nahi rahaycha mala ithe" Vara was equally annoyed
(I've overstayed my welcome,I don't want to stay here anymore)

Tarini's expression softened, her voice tinged with a hint of vulnerability and longing "Ka pn evdh kai problem ahe ithe rahayla? Ajun fakt shevat che 6 divas rahile ahet tevdhe pn nahi rahanar maza sobat? Ani baas thoda divasan sathi tu gavi janar?"

(Why? Why do you have so much problem staying here with me? It's just six more days, and then you can go back. Won't you stay here with me? Just for a few days you want to go back to the village?)

Vara's voice was laced with desperation, "Tai please, ata rahile na itake divas mi ithe? Ata ajun nako" she turned her back on her sister
(Please sister I have stayed here for so many days. Please not anymore)

"Pn ka?" Tarini asked feeling frustrated
(But why)

Daksh knocked and entered the room, his cheerful demeanor faltering as he sensed the palpable tension. "What's wrong?" he asked, his voice laced with concern, but Tarini's raised hand silenced him.

She turned Vara to face her, her eyes searching for answers. "Varu, is anyone bothering you here?" Vara's headshake was almost imperceptible, but Tarini's gaze lingered, as if willing her to reveal more. The silence was heavy until Tarini spoke again, her voice calm and measured, "Varu, do you want to tell me something?"

Vara's eyes widened in surprise, her gaze locking onto Tarini's, before she gulped and countered, her voice barely above a whisper, "Do you want to ask me anything?" The sisters were engaged in a silent game of truth and dare.