Part 23

The roads were cleared of traffic to allow Indrajeet Chauhan's cars to pass without a hitch. Everyone who saw the entourage pass looked in awe as one car after another, including police security, passed by. Police had already reached the hospital.

Raina, Tarini, and Daksh were traveling in one car, while Indrajeet, Dhruv, and Bajrang were in another. Indrajeet and Raina were on a call with the DSP, who had personally gone to the hospital with a team of senior officers to check the status.

"Hello, sir," the DSP informed them, "it's a case of domestic abuse. The husband and in-laws have injured the woman quite badly."

"What nonsense! The girl in question is not married. Which case are you talking about? I am asking about Ms. Vara Datar," Indrajeet snarled.

"Oh... o... okay... sorry, sir... I thought we were talking about the lady in ICU. Ms. Vara Datar is sitting here. She is quite injured but is refusing treatment till her sister comes..." The DSP informed nervously.

"What the fuck is going on exactly?" Indrajeet bit out.

"Sir... there is a lady hospitalized for domestic abuse. She is Ms. Vara's sister, Shikha Banerjee. I believe Ms. Vara and a few others brought Shikha Banerjee here, but the girl, Vara, seems to be in shock. She is not saying anything except calling for her sister, Tarini," the DSP continued.

"Shikha Banerjee is hospitalized?" Raina asked for confirmation.

"Shikha didi?" Tarini asked, shocked. "But... but she is supposed to be in Canada... how?"

Indrajeet slammed his elbow hard on the car window, causing a crack to appear.

"Relax, Indra," Dhruv said, keeping a hand on his shoulder. "We will reach there in five minutes."

*****

Vara couldn't understand anything. People were asking her questions, but no words came out. She numbly followed the instructions of the hospital staff when they asked her to fill out forms and complete some formalities. Her Shikha didi had fainted in an ambulance. The hospital staff were initially hesitant to admit her; it was a police case. Vara could see the man who had helped them was asking her something, but she couldn't answer. Finally, he forwarded the phone... she called her Tarini Tai.

The man spoke and then forwarded her the phone. Her sister assured her that she was coming right away. That was the only thing keeping her sitting there. She would not let anyone treat her. Right now, she couldn't trust anyone but Tarini Tai. What if Sourav Jijaji and his family returned to harm them??? once Tarini Tai came, she would handle everything. She always did...

Somehow, the crowd around them had thinned suddenly. Now only a few police officers and the man and his wife stood. They were offering her water.

"VARA!" Someone called her loudly. Indrajeet was coming towards her, followed by Dhruv and Bajrang. For the first time, she welcomed his presence... at least some familiar faces.

Her lips wobbled as she saw him hurrying towards her worriedly.

Indrajeet could assess her injuries: a busted lip, a bleeding forehead. She extended her hand as he neared her.

"Di... di... ICU..." She hiccuped.

"Shh... it's okay, I am here now..." Just as he was about to hug her, they heard Tarini's call.

"Varu..."

Vara, who was ready to go into his arms, moved towards Tarini..."Tai..." She cried out.