Ch24: Back At It

The door to the throneroom in Alexandria opens with a thunderous boom. Outside, lightning crackles across the sky as if a god has just descended upon the world and is about to carry out his final judgement. 

All the girls kneel the moment my foot crosses the threshold. A quick scan of the room informs me that there are a total of 38 girls here. The extras must represent the girls working the closest under each of my Shadows. I should show some dissatisfaction here since I only wanted to see my shadows but I suppose I never said others couldn't participate. Besides, it's not like I'm following that either.

Taking my seat on the throne, Beatrix continues past me until she's standing just behind me on the left. I'm surprised but even without me uttering a word she's left the right spot for another and as Alpha takes her place on my right, the world goes silent.

Alpha: Lord Shadow, I have gathered everyone as commanded. We await your orders.

She joins the others in kneeling but rather than immediately respond, I turn to Beatrix.

Me: I believe you asked me if I knew an elf that looked like you. It's likely you couldn't recognise her due to the magical interference caused by my magic when she wishes to keep her identity hidden but is this the one whom you sought?

Beatrix: She is...she's my long-lost niece.

I nod before standing. As I do, Beatrix joins the others in kneeling before me. 

Me: This girl, Beatrix, will be working with us going forward. In public, she'll serve as the personal guard to Cid Kagenou. 

Alpha: But, Lord-

Me: Hers is a role that none of you can play as you're all needed elsewhere. Besides, she's the most suited to the task as the rest of you lack...discretion.

Alpha: I-

Me: Such as joining a competition to compete for my affection. Besides, the Kingdom can buy me winning a bet against her and she agrees to be my guard or any lie we come up with but they won't fall for some unknown person suddenly joining me at my side. 

Delta: I can be your guard!

Me: You have even less discretion than Alpha. Neither of you can do so as the royal family knows your faces due to joining the competition.

Epsilon: I can-

Beta: As if. You're a famous composer-

Epsilon: Then I hope you aren't looking to be our lord's guard either because you're also-

Me: The decision's already been made. However, don't despair. I have a far more important task for the rest of you.

All: My Lord?

Me: The Kingdom of Oriana. I want it. 

They all look at me, stunned, but rather than immediately tell them my plan I have Alpha recount all she's discovered regarding the Kingdom of Oriana since the chaos Rose caused. From her, I also confirm that the Cult of Diablos is seemingly controlling the nation behind the scenes and is after a certain artefact that could spell the end of Oriana. 

Alpha: My Lord, are you thinking of marrying Rose Oriana? 

At that, the rest of the room stiffens, many of their fists being clenched. I can't help but smile...laugh even. They're all jealous, aren't they? How could I have not noticed this before? I might have started Shadow Garden as my own, personal pastime but it has evolved all but becoming a cult of women lusting over me. Do they even still desire to take down the Cult of Diablos or are they all just trying to win me?