Ch22: Bushin Festival (3)

Beatrix: So will you take me to see her?

Me: Huh?

Beatrix: Oh...my bad. I just assumed that since I'm now "yours" I'd meet her eventually one way or another so why wait?

Deciding to continue this conversation in private, I begin moving towards the exit and she follows after retrieving her sword. As we walk, they announce the next fight.

????: I'm sure after that truly extraordinary performance, you're all looking forward to our next fight!

The crowd goes wild in response, many chanting my family name with a few girls surprisingly holding up posters with my name and face all over them. Beatrix, spotting them, steps closer earning such envious looks that I'm sure if this were another setting they'd bore a hole straight through her skull. 

????: Next up is Princess Rose and...hold on. What's this? I'm hearing that after that last fight, one of our contestants has lost heart and forfeited their match. In other words, Princess Rose will advance to the next round!

There are some groans from the crowd but for the most part, it seems that of all the matches they were perhaps looking forward to this one the least. In fairness to them, Rose got the least interesting fight of the quarter-finals. I got Beatrix while Claire got Alpha and Alexia got Delta. Then there is Rose, fighting against what amounts to a background character at best and a mere construct of our imagination at worst. I mean, has anyone ever seen her opponent-

????: Well then...our next fight promises to be extremely entertaining. Truly,  we've already seen one Kagenou fight this round and what a display of skill! 

Me: You asked to see her, right?

Beatrix: Is she here now?

Me: Let's watch this next match together. I'll give you your answer after that.

...

...

Beatrix: This girl...Claire, she's related to you?

Me: She's my sister.

Beatrix: So you might end up fighting against your sister?

Me: Are you afraid I'll hurt her?

Beatrix: No...I just-

Me: What about you? Who exactly are you searching for?

Beatrix: My niece. We've been separated for a long time and-

????: Without further wait, Claire Kagenou versus-

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

There's an explosion from the platform upon which the Kings of both Oriana and Midgar had been seated alongside all the other VIPs in attendance. Both of us look in its general direction but neither of us makes a move towards offering assistance even as guards rush towards the scene.

As the dust and smoke clears, however, I'm surprised to find Rose standing between her father and another man whom I've never seen before. My sister's still standing in the center of the arena but from how she's positioning her feet, I can tell she's ready to join whatever's about to happen at a moment's notice. 

Delta: Boss! Are we going to fight too?

She skids to a halt at my feet, looking up at me eagerly even as she wags her tail. It kind of reminds me of a-

Rose: STAY AWAY FROM HIM!

Rose's voice echoes across the now silent arena, carrying with it much emotion, much pain. The man opposing them first covers his face before laughing and taking a gun out of his jacket. As he does, the knights from Midgar get between Alexia's father and the perpetrator, drawing their swords.