The Love Square {21}

Start from the beginning

                Huh, I had seen them with Colin at his locker this morning. I hoped that they hadn’t gotten in a fight or anything.

                Nah, they had probably just eaten their lunch in a teacher’s room while getting help. Either way, it didn’t really matter. I pushed it out of my mind for the time being and turned to Zane.

                “Zane, cane, mane,” I started to chant.

                Zane reached over and slapped his hand over my mouth, pouting. “Don’t get started on that again Ant, pant, rant.”

                I grinned and licked his hand violently. He whined and pulled it away, wiping it on his jeans and pouting at me.

                “Are you Colin hanging out afterschool?” Zane asked once he was done wiping my spit off of his hand.

                I shrugged and glanced over at Colin. “I don’t know. We haven’t talked about it. I guess I should probably text him and ask him if we are,” I said, growing excited at the thought of hanging out with him afterschool.

                I pulled my phone out and texted Colin, asking him if he wanted to hang out. I looked over and watched as he pulled out his phone. My heart fluttered as a small, shy smile appeared on his face. He glanced at his table to make sure that they weren’t paying attention before looking over at me. His smile grew a little and he nodded at me. He turned his attention back to his phone and texted for a minute, shoving it in his pocket when he was done.

                My phone buzzed in my hand. I looked down and opened the new text message from Colin, my heart fluttering even more as I read the text.

                From: Colin

                Of course we’re hanging out afterschool. Your house? :)

                I replied back yes and set my phone on the table, picking at my lunch once again. Zane laughed as he watched me.

                “I’ll take that as a yes?” he guessed.

                “Yes sir!” I said.

                My phone buzzed on the table again. I flipped it open, expecting to see another text from Colin. But instead, it was a text from a number that I didn’t recognize.

                Hey Ant. Come to the practice room. I have a surprise for you!

                “Zane, do you recognize this number?” I asked, showing him my cell phone.

                Zane typed the number into his phone and shook his head, looking confused. “Nope. I don’t know the number, and I don’t have it in my phone.”

                “Well, I guess I’ll just go find out who it is,” I said with a shrug, standing up. “I’ll leave my backpack here. I should be back in a few minutes. Maybe it’s Emma?” I looked over and saw that she wasn’t at the lunch table anymore.

                “Do you want me to go with you, Ant? I have a bad feeling about this,” Zane said nervously.

                I laughed and shook my head at him. “Nah, it’ll be fine Zane! Look, I’ll be right back, okay? Like I said, it’s probably just Emma,” I assured him.

                He nodded, still looking nervous, and watched me as I left the cafeteria. I walked down the music hallway and over to the practice room. I pushed the door open and stepped inside curiously, wondering if it really was Emma who had texted.