36. Nicer Than She Thought

Being at the prison was real nice. Lillian liked it way more now that they have set routines, they had a big community. That meant a lot of new people. It made Lillian anxious but Daryl said that she didn't have to talk to any of them if she didn't want to. She didn't really.

Lillian didn't do a lot out side of the prison, she stayed back and helped Carl with their chores. Carl and Lillian eventually started getting along. They would get into stupid arguments and after a few weeks, Rick snapped at both of them. He told them that they needed to learn to get along with each other because they were family now and family looks out for each other, not threaten each other with pocket knifes. Lillian didn't get to keep her pocket knife after that. Rick gave it to Daryl for the time being. So the two learned how to get along, meaning they really just didn't talk to each other much.

One of the routines that Lillian had was she would eat every meal with Colton and sometimes Daryl, if he was there. She started off with small portions, she couldn't each much more but as time went on she ate more and ate it with a smile, making happy conversation with Colton. She was still iffy about food, but she felt better eating than not.

Colton had matured quite a bit. Just like Carl and Lillian had but Colton was a little more quiet. He didn't ask invading questions like he used to, he was more focused. He often went on scavenging trips, especially if Maggie was going. If he wasn't, then he killed walkers at the fence.

Lillian did the same thing as Carl. She helped a lot with the animals, with farming too. Rick appreciated the help from both his son and Lillian. She got her gun privileges taken away, just like Carl did. Daryl said that we were safe enough to not need it. Plus it would scare people to see a little kid running around with a gun. Lillian didn't mind it much, especially since Carl was getting treated the same way.

Since Lillian and Colton's chores were completely different, they didn't talk as much as they used to. Obviously at breakfast, sometimes lunch, and dinner and he would talk to her before bed for a little. While Lillian was told to be a kid, Colton wanted nothing to do with the thought and when Maggie would bring it up, he would only yell at her that she wasn't his mom. Lillian witnessed it once and Maggie looked completely taken back by it.

Lillian saw Colton walking around with some other girl sometimes, he talked to her about the girl too. Her name was Athena but Colton called her Atty. Lillian didn't like when he talked about her, she almost felt jealous. It made her heart feel like someone had a tight grip on it when she saw him with her. She knew that Athena didn't really have set chores, she arrived with people from Woodbury without any parents. Apparently her mean aunt died while trying to attack the prison, so she stayed with her neighbor from Woodbury but she didn't know them well. That was basically all the information Lillian got about Athena but Colton would talk about what they do sometimes.

After a couple month of the two hanging out, Colton stopped hanging out with Lillian before bed. He also rushed through eating his meals to go and hangout with Athena. It sadden Lillian, a lot. Daryl noticed her change in behavior and tried to get her to talk to other kids but she really didn't want to. Lillian wanted her best friend back.

She felt like she was replaced. It was no longer always Lillian and Colton or even Colton and Carl, it was Colton and Athena. She felt like a dirty rag compared to Athena. She admired Athena a lot. She didn't have scars on her face, or constantly messed up hair, or wear the same outfit two times a week. She was pretty too.

Eventually, Lillian's sadness turned into anger. She made no effort to talk to Colton. Even when they ate, neither of them really said anything anymore. Lillian would close her cell door after she went up for the night, she had a thick sheet draped over it too so nobody could see in. She made sure that Colton knew, if he was to ever come back by her room, that he wasn't welcome. She told Daryl this and she told him that if he wanted to see her, to whistle to get her attention so she knew it wasn't Colton, he agreed.