34. Pick a Damn Side

Lillian was done trying to fit in where people didn't want her. They didn't want her to help, so she didn't.

The next morning, when everyone was out and helping with the defense, Lillian stayed inside. She noticed her hair had been getting all tangled everywhere so she had asked Beth to do her hair which Beth gladly said yes. So they sat in Beth's cell, Lillian was on the floor in front of the bed while Beth was sitting behind her, on the bed to be able to reach her hair.

Beth brushed her hair and then braided it into two nice french braids. Lillian asked how long she could keep them in for and Beth shrugged as she explained that as long as they're still holding hair, she could keep them in for as long as she liked. Lillian silently celebrated as she thanked Beth with a smile and made her way to the main area, outside of the cell block. Merle had been looking out of the window on the second story and Carol was holding Judith, rocking her back and forth.

"Carol. Look, Beth did my hair!" Lillian announced proudly as she turned around to show Carol that back.

"It looks great, honey." Carol smiled back at her.

Lillian quickly made her way over to the table that had a bunch of ammo on it that was near a crib that they found for Judith on a run.

"How's Judith doing?" Lillian asked as she sat down, crossing her legs on the seat.

"She's doing good, eating a lot." Carol told her while nodding, with a smile. "Are you hungry, sweetheart? Ready for some breakfast?"

Lillian shook her head. "No, I had a lot of dinner last night." She lied. She did have a granola bar and a half last night.

Carol furrowed her eyebrows. "You didn't eat last night." Lillian tried to not react as Carol caught her in her lie, she quickly thought about what to say next.

"Lunch. Sorry." Lillian let out a breathy chuckle as she tried to play it off. She hoped that Carol would just believe her and move on.

"I usually help prepare food for everyone, I don't remember the last time I saw you eat." Carol mumbled as she set down the baby in the crib.

"I did, I swear I did!" Lillian tried to be convincing again. Carol gave her a "oh really?" look, one that her mom would give her when she knew she was lying.

Carol sighed. "Okay. Let me know as soon as you're hungry, i'll make something for you." Lillian gave her a small smile and a nod. She was relieved. It wasn't that she wasn't hungry because she was, she just felt like she couldn't eat. She wouldn't be able to stomach the food if she did. It made her feel sick.

"Ain't no way." Merle mumbled from up on the perch.

"What?" Carol asked him. Her voice more annoyed now that she was talking to Merle.

"Nothin'." He replied. Lillian watched as he turned from the window, looking down at the two now.

"What happened here?" Carol questioned. Lillian had to hold back a laugh as she watched Merle rest his arms on the railing. She thought he looked funny with his hand thing and the way he looked over everything. Really, he looked funny in general but even more now.

"We got any whiskey? Hell, i'd even drink vodka." Merle asked Carol. Lillian scoffed, which grabbed Merle's attention. "You got somethin' to say, Secret Squirrel, Ah?" Lillian only looked away from the man, ignoring him.

"Go to hell, Merle." Carol told him as she moved to sit down at the table next to Lillian. Merle laughed at her comment as he moved to get to the stairs of the platform. "Are you with us?"

"Sure." Merle replied as he slowly walked down the stairs but stopped not even half way down and rested his foot on the slanted railing.

"I'm not talking about occupying same space." Carol continued as she reloaded a gun magazine. She turned back to him. "Are you with us?" She asked more clear.