Twenty-five

After the meeting between Everett and I, I take a long drive about the city before deciding to get home.

The apartment is dark and everywhere is quiet.

"Mya?"

Why do I feel like this is a repeat of yesterday.

A clutter from the dining room catches my attention and I immediately rush over there.

The place is dark but I make out shadows of someone moving.

"Mya!" I shout her name when I turn on the light and find her on the floor.
Her hair is messy and has covered her face.

She chuckles stupidly and raises her head to look at me.
"Oh hey, itsso nicetoseeyou."  She slurs and stumbled when she tries to stand.
I rush to her side and help her up before she hurts herself again.

"What happened?" I ask after I place her back in the chair.
"Well, I got tired of waiting for you and.....and I found a bottle in the cabinet so I decided to try it." She answers lazily.

I groan when my phone begins to vibrate in my coat pocket.

I take it out and the caller ID reads Lisa. I roll my eyes before picking up the call.

"Baby..." She whines into the speaker. "It's late and I'm lonely." She complains childishly and I pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Lisa, it's one in the morning. Please try to sleep, I'll visit you when I get time tomorrow." I let out an exasperated breath and I hear Mya's soft whispers behind me.

"Of course it's her. Go to her. Leave me just like how everyone leaves me." She whispers and her eyes glaze over.

A new sort of feeling hits me when I see her like that. So sad and vulnerable.

She wipes angrily at her eyes and frown.

"It's 1am, I'm going to bed." She mumbles and staggers to her bedroom.

(⁠ ⁠・ั⁠﹏⁠・ั⁠) 

Chuckles erupt from the living room as one of father's guest says a joke.

"....And I said, I'd rather have caviar." He says and the horrendous laughter from bucktoothed men in stuffy suits and women looking waxy from too much makeup fill the house again.

I peep through the keyhole and I can see my parents laughing along with them.

They've locked me in here, telling me not to even utter a word.

"Peep a sound, and no dinner for you... murderer." Mother spoke before slamming the door shut.

I don't understand why they almost want to jab in the fact that according to them, I killed their star.
It's been two years already, and they still aren't over it.

I sit on the floor and bring my knees to my chest and I let the tears fall before drifting off to sleep.

                                 Present day.

My head feels heavy and it throbs painfully when I try to open my eyes fully.

It feels as if the sounds around me have been amplified a thousand times to the point that it hurts even when the wind blows.

"Good morning." Cairus greets and I notice that he has a glass of water and some pills in his hand.

I just keep staring at him when he strides over to me. It takes him a few steps to get to me and I flinch back when he nears me.

"It's just aspirin." He hands me the glass and I take it but place it on my drawer, maybe later.

Memories from last night begin to flood my mind and I cover my face with the blanket. I sounded so stupid.

"What did you mean by ' leave me just like how everyone leaves me'?" He quirks an eyebrow and folds his arms over his chest.

"Nothing. Just drunken nonsense." I try to cover it up but he doesn't believe me.

"How's your leg?" He looks at my leg and I feel blood rush to my face.
"It's better,I can stand on it now." I smile slightly and he sits at the edge of my bed.

"Get ready, I'll be taking you out for lunch. My treat." He says before walking out of my room.

What the hell?