Twenty-three

"Why can't I visit your apartment anymore?" Lisa pouts and the melted bits of ice cream create a shiny film on her lip.
"Because baby,I have a lot of work going on. Am I can't afford any more distractions." I respond honestly. Her eyes glisten over and she takes a bite of her ice cream to hide her sadness.
"Don't worry,I'll get off work a little earlier so that we can have some alone time." I wink and wipe a smudge of ice cream at the corner of her lip.
She smiles and wipes her eyes.

I don't understand how someone so beautiful can have such a complicated life.

The bell at the top of the door dings and two people I presume to be a couple walk in.
The girl is in a wheelchair and she has a hat on and so does the man but he also has a mask on.
They look kind of familiar but it's hard to see from where I'm sitting.

"Are you listening?" Lisa's voice break my thoughts.
"Um...yeah." I lie,it's bad enough that I'm cheating on her,I do t also have to ignore her.

"Anyways, I was saying,you didn't get me my gift from your trip to Milan. You lied to me." She pouts.

A hand touches my should and that stops me from answering Lisa.
"Hi guys, what're you doing here?" Everett's annoying ass voice resonates and I clench my jaw tight.

"Omg hi Everett. You didn't tell us you'd be joining us." Lisa exclaims happily as her expression shifts when her gaze lands on Mya. I can't lie,so does mine.

"Ugh,what's the maid doing here?" She scoffs in disgust but Mya doesn't seem the least bothered.

"Well if you must know,she's my girlfriend." Everett lies through his teeth. Mya looks up at him in shock and a sudden need to punch the life out of him overwhelms me.

"Yeah,two years and we're still deeply in love." Mya plays along with his bullshit. She has this sick flare in her eyes and I want to extinguish it so badly.
"Yeah,just a little wound stopped her but don't worry ,I still love you and I will never,ever cheat on you like some bloody bastard." He says the last phrase while looking at me in the eye.

The nerve of some people.

"Anyway, we'll be leaving. We already ordered our ice cream so we'll be leaving." Mya says and shakes the bag with the ice cream.
She stares at me longer than usual and I don't know why but a chill runs down my spine.

The apartment is dark by the time I get home and the faint smell of cherries clings in the air.

"Mya?" I call out as I place my coat on the hanger.

No response.

"Mya?" I call out again.

Yet again,no response.

The light flickers on and she's facing me as if I'm a teenager late for curfew.

"Oh hi hubby." She mocks and pushes her wheelchair closer to me.

"Um... what's on your face?" I ask and point at the mask on her face.

"Well if you must know,it's a face mask. I want to look good since my 'hubby' is cheating on me. Am I not enough?" She fake cries and I roll my eyes.

"I maybe your husband on paper but to me,you'll never be worthy." I say coldly and I see how something sparks in her eyes.
"That's harsh." She says and wheels away to the guest room.

"Mya,get back here." I command and she slams the door before I get close to her.

Smooth move dick head.

I can hear little whimpers from the other side of the room and one part of me want to yank the door off its hinges and apologize but the other wants to sleep this off and have breakfast tomorrow.

The sleepy side wins.

(⁠-⁠_⁠-)⁠・⁠・⁠・

I don't know why what he said hurt but it did. I'm pretty sure my eyes are swollen from all the crying but I'm sure I can hide it from him.

He's a horrible person. I remind myself. No matter how handsome he is,he's terrible.

I manage to get myself downstairs and it's gotten a bit better that I can limp a bit,so that's what I do.

I limp to the kitchen and I find the devil's advocate sipping on tea while reading a newspaper.

"You're not supposed to be without your wheelchair. Doctor's command." He says as if he cares.

"You don't have to pretend you care." I retort angrily and before I can let out a breath,he stands infront of me, placing his hands on both side of the wall, temporarily trapping me.