117: The Youth (Part 2)

"Your Majesty, I request your grace's permission to personally lead the Nanfu troops back to Mingshui and engage in battle against the Southern Barbarians."

The lamp's light flickered slightly, and the sound of rain hitting the ground outside could be heard.

The young man remained prostrated and silent for a while. Emperor Wenxuan spoke slowly, "Do you understand what you're saying?"

"The Southern Barbarians have oppressed our Central Plains people. Now that my father has fallen in battle and the wolves remain, I am willing to inherit my father's aspirations and return to the Southern Barbarians to reclaim Mingshui."

Emperor Wenxuan didn't respond immediately. Instead, Xu Jingfu spoke first, saying, "Second Young Master Xiao, though I understand your current feelings of grief and anger, leading troops into battle is not a simple matter."

Seeing that Emperor Wenxuan didn't object to him speaking, Xu Jingfu continued, "In the Battle of Mingshui, General Guangwu acted recklessly, missed opportunities, and caused the deaths of tens of thousands of Wei soldiers. His Majesty, out of kindness, did not investigate the matter further. But now, you have come here not to apologize, but to request military authority."

Xiao Jungkook's voice was solemn as he replied, "I am doing this for the people of Great Wei."

"The people of Great Wei?" Xu Jingfu shook his head. "Second Young Master Xiao is only sixteen years old, and he has never been on a battlefield before. In the court of Great Wei, many great generals dare not claim to lead troops into battle. You, a young boy, are speaking boldly. It's excessive self-confidence."

"Go back," Emperor Wenxuan said. "Let's not discuss this matter any further."

The young man hesitated for a moment and then looked at Emperor Wenxuan. "I am willing to make a military oath. If I fail in battle, I am willing to accept punishment."

Each word he spoke was clear and resolute.

Second Young Master Xiao's eyes had always been beautiful, clear as autumn water, and often carried a lazy and languid demeanor. But now, that hint of laziness was gone, replaced by something that had sunk deep within and was gradually resurfacing, making him appear intense and fervent in an instant.

Impossible to ignore.

"Making a military oath is easy," Xu Jingfu said, "but if Second Young Master Xiao fails in battle, it will only cost you your life. For others, war is not child's play. Great Wei has already suffered greatly due to General Guangwu's defeat at Mingshui. Now, if we use your words as a gamble, risking tens of thousands of Nanfu troops..."

He sighed and shook his head. "Great Wei cannot afford to lose anymore."

Xiao Jungkook fell silent for a moment and then said firmly, "I dare not."

A glint of determination flashed in Xu Jingfu's eyes.

Xiao Jungkook prostrated himself again and said, "The Southern Barbarians, an alien race, have invaded our territory, massacring our people. My father died in battle, and I am unwilling to live a life of cowardice. I beseech Your Majesty to grant me permission to lead the troops into battle. Until a victorious report is delivered, I dare not speak rashly. Your Majesty, please provide as many troops as you are willing to entrust to me, and even if I fall on the battlefield, I will have no regrets."

His attitude was obstinate, and he seemed willing to stake everything. It was as if he would kneel there forever if Emperor Wenxuan didn't agree.

Emperor Wenxuan rubbed his temples and said, "I don't want to discuss this matter any further."