Chapter 76: The Cake is Alive

Fluttershy's cottage, many moons later

"Actions always have consequences. Now, I know what you're thinking: 'But what about Sun?' Well, she's a bit of an exception. Besides, this is about Death Drive. You might remember that I mentioned her older sister, White Night. I wouldn't have named her if she wasn't going to come back. Anyways, she was a mare who had all her love and sympathy exhausted from her, and all there was in its place was a bitterness like the winter cold. A part of me doesn't blame her for feeling the way she did. If I had to spend my life taking care of my father and a younger sister who were both ill for most of their life... and then, I only had to take care of the sister... and that sister, once she finally recovered... did what Death Drive did... I would be pretty mad, too. White Night wasn't sure if it was somehow her fault that Pale Moon turned into, well, Death Drive. But, she felt like she needed to punish Death Drive for what she did. But really... she just wanted to take out her pent-up anger on her. And did it feel good? Did it feel good to take out her anger for once, finally letting it out on someone who she grew to hate? No. No, it didn't."

Canterlot, many moons ago

"It's been a long time, sister." 

The familiar voice that found its way into Death Drive's ears made her stop completely. 

"What's wrong?" Sun asked, stopping along with her.

Death Drive's head turned towards the alleyway that the voice had come from, and out of it stepped none other than her sister, White Night. Her older sibling's fluffy tea rose mane was the first thing to jog her memory, and the coat of white like cold winter snow and the contrasting black designer clothing was what made her remember that this was, indeed, her sister. Her eyes were as cold and dead as Death Drive's own, but White Night's unique clothing felt like a more subtle, almost forced way of attempting to express herself. It was fitting, as she essentially had to throw away her dreams and personal needs in order to care for Death Drive and their father, Inner Peace.

 It was fitting, as she essentially had to throw away her dreams and personal needs in order to care for Death Drive and their father, Inner Peace

Death Drive had no words to say to her, merely waiting for her to speak first. Sun just stood by, knowing with the word "sister" being uttered that she probably had no place in what was about to happen.

"I'm surprised it took you this long to come back to me." White Night said, staring down at her sister. "I won't forgive you."

"I didn't come here for you." Death Drive snapped, although, not without a lot of restraint. "I don't ever expect you to forgive me, but I don't need you to. But, I hope you know I'm not the person I was before - Sun knows that pretty well, actually. Goodbye, Whitney."

Even the onlooking Sun was surprised to see Death Drive walk away from her sister after what she apparently intended to be her last meeting with her. Even more surprisingly, White Night growled, showing that her grip on her emotions was beginning to loosen significantly. 

"What do you think you're doing?!" she sneered, "What would Father think of what you did?!"

Death Drive's heart quivered, ached, and shattered, all at once. She was appalled that her sister would dare to use their father as a way to make her feel guilty, as if she hadn't been dealing with her guilt for the past few weeks. And, only adding to the strangeness, it sounded like White Night had prepared to say what she did. Even Sun was shocked.