Chapter 43: Down the Path of Rage

Sun was on another friendship mission. She was actually quite willing to do it, since it got her out of the house. And besides, she wasn't the only pony being called there - Starlight Glimmer was called as well - so it won't be the hardest. She wondered where exactly the two of them would go, since her last mission brought her somewhere completely new to her. As it turned out, the answer was the Peaks of Peril, a dry mesa with a surprisingly misleading name. 

["Otherworld Dungeon 3" from Devil Summoner]

The air was so humid, it was impossible for Sun to believe what Starlight told her - that a village filled to the brim with lush greenery lied within the plateau that they were being called to. Sure, as they continued to walk, it was common for them to see the pale and dark oranges of the mountain range be adorned with bushes and scattered trees with vines drooping from them, but they looked more like cooked broccoli than the lush jungle that Sun pictured.

But as they drew closer and closer to the kirin's village, the colors of the commonly-seen flora and the scarce fauna became more and more vibrant, and the air became a little less humid. It made her excited to get to the village to see how its residents integrated their homes into the beautiful scenery. She had heard a little about the area from Applejack and Fluttershy, but Sun almost pretended to forget what they'd said in order to let the mysteriousness of her adventure excite her. "Y'know, I can't wait to get there. Not to get my hopes up, but... Well, yeah. I just can't wait." she verbally stumbled.

"You may be glad," Starlight said back, "but I still don't know why I had to be here, too." as she carefully observed her surroundings. Sun, lost in her own anticipation, completely forgot the pony right next to her, but replied quickly nonetheless.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to see."

Then, without any kind of warning, a familiar kirin jumped out from behind a plant, and in front of our two equine protagonists, who briefly cried out in surprise. 

"Calm down!" the kirin said. "Sun! It's me, Maple!" she gestured a "stop" motion to them to try to get them to ease their fear. However, Sun was less than pleased. 

"Are you trying to give us heart attacks?" Regaining her composure, she let out a sigh of frustration, and continued, "Glad to see you, but... don't try something like that ever again, please..."

"Deepest apologies, man." Maple replied with a smirk. Starlight looked curiously at her, and Maple was quick to do the same. "Hey, you must be the Starlight Glimmer I've been hearing about!" she happily greeted, before gesturing towards a pile of oddly-placed plants that were clearing blocking something. Of course, it was revealed that they were when Maple moved them out of the way, revealing the entrance to the kirin village. It was beautiful, with enormous trees in which the kirins made their homes, flowing rivers that ran through the village, and, of course, the kirins themselves, which were sights to behold. They all had gentle mannerisms and gestures which was like a silent method of communicating with each other. It was interesting to witness, and just gave Sun a new reason to like the kirin.

 It was interesting to witness, and just gave Sun a new reason to like the kirin