Chapter 13: The Truth is Lost

As a part of Twilight's recommendation for Sun to try making friends, she thought she'd start with an easy test run: making friends with Fluttershy. It confused the unicorn a little, since she thought she was already friends with her, but maybe that was the point or something. Either way, she jumped at the suggestion. However, despite her eagerness, she began to feel odd once she actually met the pegasus again. 

Perhaps the simplest way to describe how she unknowingly began to act was that she put on a mask - putting on a face that belonged to a different, more confident pony. She felt nervous around her, as she suddenly became self-conscious of her every action. Fortunately, Fluttershy thought nothing of it, and thus, said nothing about it during their walk down the street. Instead, Sun said something.

"No progress on finding out who I am... just if you were wondering." she said to put an end to the deafening silence. 

"Oh, uhm, about that..." Fluttershy said back, "Have you tried asking somepony who could maybe know your family?"

Sun's eyes widened, shocked at how she'd never once thought to do something that seemed so, so obvious to do. She felt like an idiot, but Fluttershy already knew that she wasn't the smartest pony, so she didn't have to feel embarrassed. 

"Uh, no, I have not... Who should we ask?" 

"I was thinking maybe we could start with the post office... They probably have your name and information on record so they can deliver things, don't they?"

"Probably... Let's see."

The two galloped to the post office eagerly, although Sun galloped faster. She was nothing if determined... in this specific moment, that is. Her anxiousness around Fluttershy was completely gone, because both of them were on a mission, and one that Sun couldn't let wait any longer. Sun burst through the post office's door, and soon after, Fluttershy gently entered. She decided to do some of the talking for Sun, just for the sake of being kind. 

But, it was also because the pony at the counter was Derpy. Obviously, Sun didn't know who she was, but Fluttershy did, and was used to her.

"Hi, Derpy." the pegasus greeted the cross-eyed mare. "Uhm, my friend here is in a bit of a situation... Her name is Innocent Sun, and she has amnesia. A-and we were hoping that... i-if it wouldn't be too much effort... you could maybe show us some legal documents that might tell her which family she belongs to? Please?"

"We~ll," Derpy said, putting her hoof to her chin to think. Sun felt so eager to find out the truth of who she is, it felt like the moments between this pegasus' words felt like an eternity, and it didn't help that Derpy liked to speak in a slow, almost sleepy voice. "Doing that is probably some kinda violation, but I don't think anyone's looking..." 

Finally, the pegasus turned around, and trotted into the backroom to find the documents the duo were looking for. Speaking of them, they were huddled together, both practically shaking with anticipation. When Derpy finally came out of the room, holding two papers in her wings, the two were off-put by the pegasus' puzzled expression.

"What did you find?" Fluttershy asked, hoping for the best.

"Uhh... Two papers, I guess..." Derpy replied, one placing the papers on the counter, while keeping the other hidden for a reason unknown to the two. "I don't know what happened..." she thought out loud, before putting on a pretend-positive face as she looked back at the two. "Good news~! We know your last name, mister Sun--"

"Miss Sun." the unicorn corrected.

"Okay, sure. Well, miss Sun... Your last name is Sun."

["Kuzunoha Family Event" from Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers]

Sun instantly beamed with excitement, losing all sense of composure. She could barely stop herself from hopping up and down like a filly in pure elation.

"Oh, really? So, her full name is Innocent Sun Sun? Or is it just Innocent Sun? Like my name is Fluttershy, but not Fluttershy Shy?" Fluttershy asked, which quickly became a meek ramble.

"I guess so..." Derpy replied, although it was clear her main focus was still on the other paper. 

"Uhm, Sun... I hate to ruin your excitement... but I have to tell you that 'Sun' is a very common last name... I'm sorry. But... Derpy, don't you have another thing that could help us?"

"Well... The thing is... I also have some bad news." Derpy replied, finally placing the other paper on the counter. It was a document with all Sun's legal information - there was no doubt about that - but there was something glaringly obvious that was wrong. Almost all of the text was gone, and something told them it wasn't just a printing error. It felt like the text was somehow ripped off of the page.

The two just looked at the paper in puzzlement for a while, until Fluttershy began to notice Sun's expression begin to twist into a disappointed grimace. She thought Sun was disappointed for the same reason she was, but she was only half-right. They both knew the text was somehow removed, but Sun began to think it was only that way because there was someone who didn't want her to find out who she was.

Sure, it was a bit of a leap, but she felt she had to be right because she knew there was someone out there who hated her and wanted her to suffer: Death Drive, that unicorn who attacked her. Sun almost forgot about her, but it seems she decided to stay true to her word, and coming back for her. She'd have to keep her guard up now, but because she now knew that there was someone trying to stop her from finding out who she was... it only made her twice as determined.