Chapter 35: Thunder Sun

Sun didn't dream last night. It was a good thing. She was just so excited for the day when she sees her cousin, it seemed to have overtaken whatever was causing her nightmares. It felt like everything was going to be okay. Sun wasn't feeling weighed down by something now, and she thought that meant she was better entirely. That was not the case. But for now, she was going to enjoy the day.

Ponyville Park, Ponyville (obviously)

Zecora was walking along a path with a satchel full of groceries she'd spent this first half of the day getting. She was just walking in the park because she decided to take the scenic route on this sunny Saturday, but also because she hoped to see a friend she could talk to, because she wasn't quite sure what to do with her Element. Luckily for her, she saw a familiar friend resting underneath a tree, reading a book that had her quite invested.

"What is this I see? Innocent Sun, reading a book underneath this old oak tree?" the zebra said to playfully catch her attention.

"Oh, h-hey, Zecora." Sun said back, a little surprised to see the zebra in town again. "How're you?" 

"I myself have been doing quite fine, but you have been creating quite a stir. Everycreature has been thinking of you and Twilight as quite close, you and her."

Sun was a little confused by what exactly that meant, and how true it was. "I-I don't really know about that."

Zecora was planning on wrapping up this brief conversation after that response, but something caught her eye: the cover of the book Sun was reading. It had an odd symbol on the front cover, with no text to accompany it. The back was completely blank, perhaps from years of misuse, or because it simply had no text at all.

 The back was completely blank, perhaps from years of misuse, or because it simply had no text at all

"What exactly is this book? Do you mind if I take a look?" the zebra asked curiously. Sun approved of it quickly, placing the book backwards on the grass so Zecora could read it. A look of continuously-growing surprise spread its way across her face as she read. "So, the rumors are true. You ARE a witch."

"Trying to be one, yeah... Wait, what rumors?"

"It's not the worst I've heard you be called; other sources that were not so nice simply called you a bi-"

"Wait, what's going on?" Sun interrupted with a look of concern on her face. "Why's my mark glowing?" Zecora looked where she did, and found that the unicorn's cutie mark was, in fact, glowing. Luckily for her, Zecora knew what was happening.

"My pony friend, there is no need for alarm. This is normal, and will do you no harm. You are needed at Twilight's to be called to a new destination. What you must do is fix a friendship problem, perhaps an altercation."

"...Is Twilight gonna explain that to me in a way that's easier to understand?"

Later, in Twilight's throne room, the Castle of Friendship

Sun and Twilight looked at the crystal table in the center of the room, which had a holographic map of Equestria on it. They could see everywhere from Manehattan to Vanahack on the map, and a symbol of Sun's cutie mark floated above a small town that looked like something pulled right out of an old western.