Chapter 39: No Coming Home

Fluttershy's cottage, many moons later

"Anzu was a monster who was described in a lot of old fairy tales. Your mother might've even told you a story with him in it. He was a monster in the purest sense. He would eat fillies that misbehave, and gnaw on their bones. He was violent, merciless, and his heart was filled with evil. But the worst thing about him? He knew it. He was aware of the unforgivable things he had done and continued to do, but he never once felt regret."

She pulled an old book of fairy tales from her shelf, flipping through it, and landing on a page detailing one of the many tales about Anzu. She showed the filly the book's illustration of the infamous monster. Fierce, ugly, and monstrous, with one eye shut with a scar as its seal, and the other, a glowing red with a bloodthirsty glare.

(Writer's note: the image provided is of Beowulf from Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, because I already tend to use Beowulf's appearance as a sort of "placeholder" for Anzu's design when I'm writing the story, and since I also have not created...

(Writer's note: the image provided is of Beowulf from Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, because I already tend to use Beowulf's appearance as a sort of "placeholder" for Anzu's design when I'm writing the story, and since I also have not created an actual design for him as of yet, I think it would be simpler for you to picture him as looking the same as Beowulf.)

"Even I know that he was irredeemable. And Sun was about to learn that too. Some people just aren't worth forgiving."

Pony Creek, many moons ago

Sun, Sunburst and Applejack had finally arrived in Pony Creek. It was nothing special (not that they thought it would be), but it was exactly what Sun remembered, and it brought her back to simpler times. Pony Creek was a city, but it was easy to think it was just a town, with the small, humble aura it radiated... But only to Sun, because she was looking at it with rose-tinted glasses, despite not being able to remember any of the nostalgic memories she had. All that were left were feelings of vague happiness she could recall.

"Well, ah didn't expect this place t'be Canterlot, but ah didn't expect a unicorn like you to come from such a... non-magical place." Applejack commented.

"It's nice and quaint, isn't it?" Sun replied.

Sunburst chimed in, "The perfect place for Sol-"

"I give up."

"-to grow up learning magic while still being in touch with her earth pony side."

Applejack laughed forcefully, and exclaimed, "Ah knew you were an earth pony, Sun! Ah was right!"

"Oh, she's half-earth pony, thanks to her father being on my side of the family. By the way, when we see Sol's parents, remember that her father is named Sundowner, and her mother is Foo Fighter. Her mother is where she gets her unicorn side from, but in all honesty, she gets most of her DNA from her father, who's the brother of my father. Very interesting that a pony with such earth pony-based DNA could be a unicorn too, isn't it?"

"...Yeah. Hey, you okay, Sun?"

Applejack had caught Sun with a vacant stare on her face, looking off into the distance as if lost in thought. It actually took a second mention of her name for Sun to realize that Applejack was trying to get her attention.