Chapter 198 - Oddity (3)

Start from the beginning

“And if you’re thinking of adding this Korean actor for a change, it would have been nice if you had told us earlier.”

Nagging. Director George, who had heard similar comments before coming here, replied.

“That Korean actor is just an extra. He came because the timing was right, so it’s not enough to call it a change.”

Thus, somewhat ignoring them, he shouted in English, keeping his gaze on the monitor.

“Let’s start the test!”

Then, a female staff member among the dozens of staff behind ran to the center of the studio. As soon as she clapped the slate, Wang Bang looked forward. Precisely, he was looking at Gary three steps ahead. It wasn’t just staring; acting had begun. His eyes needed to convey a clear intent to kill.

Gary in person and Director George through the monitor were checking this.

‘Um, the weight in his gaze is lacking. It’s not scary. It feels more like hatred than a will to kill.’

Suddenly, the Chinese actor Wang Bang, who was glaring at Gary, moved his foot. Normally, there would be lines, but it seemed Wang Bang had forgotten them due to nervousness, and he reached out his hand towards Gary’s neck.

-Smack!

The speed is mediocre. Neither fast nor slow. It looks more like a preliminary rehearsal than action. Nonetheless, Gary calmly receives Wang Bang’s punch. He catches the fist extending towards the neck. Twists the wrist. With his other hand, he grabs the back of Wang Bang’s neck. Distracting the attention. The real threat is the knee rising from below.

-Thwack!

Wang Bang allows the first hit to land on him. However, he blocks the second with the same knee.

The speed at which they synchronize gradually increases.

However.

“Cut, that’s enough.”

In the middle of the test, Director George stopped their martial arts. Then he requested something from Wang Bang, who was slightly panting.

“Mr. Wang Bang, look at the camera in front and think of a target you want to eliminate.”

“Understood.”

“It’s not just about thinking. Capture the emotion right before you rush in, in your eyes.”

“······”

About 10 seconds later.

“Okay, that’s good.”

Director George, announcing the end of the test, muttered softly.

“This guy is a pass.” (TL: Pass as in not suitable)

Afterward.

The next actor enters the studio. It was another actor from China. Since the plan for today’s test was to look only at Chinese actors, it was expected. This actor went through the same process as Wang Bang. After an inspection by stunt coordinator Gary, signal from Director George.

“Action.”

The sound of the slate echoes in the studio, the appearance of the actor displayed on the monitor, the precise martial arts, and dozens of related personnel and staff including the director watching.

Thus, the test gradually picks up speed.

This Chinese actor received a very favorable review, unlike Wang Bang.

“Good, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, the clear movement path as well. He came well-prepared.”

“The face fits well on the monitor too.”