We'll have the day we deserve soon.

Start from the beginning

"Tate?" John said. "Come here."

When Tate didn't move, Oakley pushed his back gently so he'd start walking. Tate went up to the side of John's bed and looked down at his grandpa. John sighed, holding out his hand for Tate to take. Tate looked confused but grasped John's hand.

"Thank you, grandson," John said.

Oakley felt a little better hearing those words come from John's mouth. She looked over at Beth who was watching her. Oakley nodded her head out to the hallway and Beth got up, following her out.

"Coffee?" Oakley asked.

"Bless you," Beth sighed.

The two walked down to where the cafeteria was. There was a small coffee stand where they poured themselves a cup. Oakley sat down at one of the small tables there with Beth sitting across from her.

"Did you sleep any?" Oakley asked.

"As much as one can on a plastic chair," Beth blew on her coffee.

"Well, I can stay here with him while you go get some sleep," Oakley said.

"Are you kidding?" Beth laughed. "My father would be out of here in five minutes if you were watching him...and I say that with love."

"I can handle your father," Oakley rolled her eyes. "Been dealing with him for over two decades now."

"Dealing and handling are two different things, Oaks," Beth smiled. "But thank you for the offer. No...I'm here until he's not. It's what we do."

"Kayce can take some of the time off you," Oakley frowned. "You shouldn't do this alone."

"Kayce has three kids and you at home," Beth said.

"You have Rip," Oakley argued.

"Who would agree with me," Beth eyed her. "Oakley, just because you can't help doesn't mean you need to find someone who can. This is how we handle things, it's all part of being in this family."

Oakey sighed.

"Fine," She sipped her coffee.

"Fine?" Beth asked a bit surprised.

"Yeah," Oakley shrugged. "Whatever you say."

Beth blinked back at her for a few seconds.

"What happened to you?" Beth asked.

"What?" Oakley paused bringing her cup to her lips.

"The Oakley I know would still be arguing...maybe even offering Tate up to stay here."

"That's just it," Oakley looked at her. "I'm done arguing with this family."

"What does that mean?" Beth asked.

"Back when Kayce and I spent the night up at the springs for our anniversary," Oakley said. "It was the first peaceful time in a long time...So, I made a promise to him and myself to stop arguing when I didn't agree with things."

Beth was quiet.

"It's just easier and when Kayce got hurt..." Oakley shook off those old feelings. "I just can't do that anymore. So...when you say it's a certain way, then fine. I'll go along with that for this family."

Beth was still watching her when Kayce walked up to them.

"Hey," He said passing them and walking over to the coffee cart.

Beth narrowed her eyes at him and stood up. Oakley's eyes widened as she watched Beth smack Kayce on his head.

"The fuck?" Kayce asked.