44. A Teacher And Guide

"The first one is the easiest...it's effort. Think of a subject. Three main factors govern your competency in that subject. Talent, effort, and luck. Talent and luck can't be altered normally so we can only boil down to effort. It's common sense isn't it?" Merline says.

"Yes," I reply.

"Even so, subfactors such as technique, efficiency, and attitude affect how successful your effort is...it's fucking obvious. Then what's your problem? You don't have a proper teacher, thus a lack of refined techniques developed from generations of hard work. Your earnest attitude is commendable but the same can be found in many others. Instead, the fastest way to grow is by facing death and you need to have the courage to train with death, a profound courage, the heart of a daredevil and a beast. Possessing those are people who survive in battles."

I understand what Merline says but...

"Everyone understands this fact yet who truly commits to such a frenzy? Think about it." Merline suddenly appears near me.

...

The path is obvious to everyone. However, how many have the discipline and characteristics to truly trek such arduous lunacy? I was also turning a blind eye to it. Trying to use "safety" as an excuse but now that I think about it, I'm a killer. I kill and must prepared to be killed. If I choose the safe route, I will still die later.

...

"Those who bleed in training, bleed less in fights," I mumble.

"..." Merline nods.

To overcome the barriers to overwhelming talent, one needs to work harder, ten times harder, fifty times harder. The math is simple.

I sigh and gaze down. What a stupid question to ask.

I...like many others chose to pretend this path doesn't exist, coming up with various excuses.

"Let's discuss the other two factors." Merline teleports to his seat. "Luck is something you can't control. How much access to resources do you have? Is your era peaceful or chaotic? Do you have a good teacher or an inheritance? All these contribute to your overall strength. In your case, you can be the luckiest person in the world."

"I guess..."

"Now for talent, this is the second way to overcome talent, find another talent."

...??

Merline sighs. "Everyone has hidden talents, you don't possibly think those talents you see in others are their full potential, right? You could only see those talents as they are related to their fate. Someone with low talent naturally has a low fate. Therefore, find the person's talent. Axe, bow, dagger, staff, or even a spear." Merline raises his hand, projecting small illusions of tremendous weapons, enough to form a cloud.

His word suddenly reminds me of a similar occurrence. When I started cultivating back at the academy, I naturally discovered an innate talent for cultivation.

As I'm lost in deep thought, Merline says "You don't know much about your power, which usually is not the case. I don't feel your constellation either."

Merline clicks his tongue and shakes his head. "Damn it. If it wasn't for death..."

He turns back to me. "Time never stops, I hope to chat more but you have more business in the archive. I will send you to the next guide. I...wish you all the best, challenger and I trust you won't abuse the privilege I'm about to grant."

"Wai-"

Without warning, I am ejected from the space into a void. Everything happened so quickly.

...