43. Archive

I grant a break for my squad as I visit the Akatski Academy. Rest is training.

Clad in simple clothing and a bag with my sword at my waist, I traverse the capital, turning heads and chanting whispers.

The news of Vanriem's uncovering was spread like wildfire across the kingdom. In particular, Aria and Cane cited me for my sole clearance and discovery, spiking my reputation and putting me as the hot topic again.

The far sight of a piercing castle and humongous pillars greet me.

"S-Sir Loi!" The guard exclaims at the gate. "What brings you here today?" he asks and opens the gate.

"I'm here for a visit," I reply.

"Ah! It's my honour to see you, please have a pleasant trip."

I nod and enter.

It hasn't been long since I graduated but it feels...nostalgic.

"Loi!" Kaine says. The guards probably informed the academy of my presence.

"Sir Kaine, it's been some time!"

"Indeed! You...look great...unbelievably great. Haha, I don't know if I can defeat the current you." Kaine smiles as he looks at me. "You've grown stronger."

I nod and return the smile.

"There must only be one reason why you are here. Is it time for the Archive?" Kaine asks.

"Yeah."

He escorts me into the Academy.

"mmh...you look different." He says beside me.

"What do you mean?"

"...Your eyes are brighter, different from last time."

"Pardon?"

Kaine scratches his head. "Never mind."

He guides me to the fourth level where people in black coats and red shirts greet me. "A pleasure to meet you, Sir Loi Krist. You may call us the paper guards." A man says and bows. Each hides their identity with a plain white mask attached to a cloth over their head. However, the danger they exude is no joke. Each is stronger than me.

"Likewise," I say.

"From here on, we will bring you to the archive's entrance, Instructor Kaine is not permitted to follow."

Kaine nods and pats my back. "Go. I will be rooting for you."

"Thank you, sir."

I follow the paper guards down a seemingly infinite corridor. In the blink of an eye, a giant golden double door appears before me. The experience seems to be the work of magic illusions.

The surface gleams with ethereal radiance, casting otherworldly mana over my body. Intricate engravings of celestial arcane and motifs adorn the door; I can't take my eyes off the art.

With a snap from the paper guards, the door swings open, shooting blinding lights.

"Uck?!"

I squeeze my eyes shut and turn away. The moment I open, I find myself in a white space, devoid of any matter, pure plain white.

A string of mana shoots itself into my head and expels popping sounds. Surprised, I stumble back and grasp my forehead. I can't feel anything happening, no discomfort or abnormalities.

"Thee shall receive the answers thee seek, apostle."

!

A sentence manifested in my psyche. Something spoke but it had no voice.