16. Distraction

What do nobles fear the most? The presence of an uncontrollable commoner talent.

"Kill the commoner."

Such a thought is simple when commoners with little background and support hinder a noble. No one will care or know much.

But it's close to impossible in the Akatski Academy.

In the Darto kingdom, ten major monsters are keeping the balance of power intact. One of them is Roate Kreera, a swordsman. As the only person in the Lord realm of the kingdom, he is the core powerhouse and trump card of this large country.

Roate is also the headmaster of the academy. His mere presence allowed commoners into a once "noble exclusive" academy. Close subordinates of Roate are the council members, maintaining peace and order in the academy.

Assassination of an affiliated cadet is akin to challenging Roate. No sane person will do that.

But there are loopholes. Sometimes, retainers will sacrifice themselves for the nobles' goal.

Alas, peace in the academy is a facade. Count Albert is at territorial war with Count Gregor and coincidentally two main leaders of influence in the academy are the offspring of both houses.

It becomes clear what I must do. The truce between the parties is on the verge of collapse, and their tolerance is about to spill.

I am unable to leave the Academy to protect my family so I must direct their attention to something else.

Scrutinizing their profile, I realise my physique matches Darem Albert. He will be my scapegoat.

"Thank you. Sir."

Later that night, I teach Aiden cultivation. Lack of mana prevented his dantian from forming yet with my guidance in controlling the energy, Aiden can cultivate on his own.

"What the hell? I don't feel tired." Aiden mumbles the next morning.

-------------
Fate: 100
Role: Background Character

Talent:
-Sword Tier 4
-Focus Tier 2
-Cultivation Tier 4
-------------

Seems like Aiden has a good talent for cultivation. I remember that the types of spiritual roots affect one's progress. Aiden's allowed smooth circulation and doubled the efficiency. Good for him.

"Where did you find this technique?"

"...You caught me. I stole this technique from a native of another world."

Aiden raises one brow. "What?"

...

He scratches his head. "Man...whatever. This won't harm your body whatsoever?"

"Why would I use it if it does?"

"Fair enough." Aiden nods.

I doubt they will touch Aiden but it doesn't hurt.

One and a half months until the tournament.

Life afterwards is smooth sailing. The nobles attempt to cripple me using their retainers through spars without success. In addition, they try to persuade Irina into their little antics. She ignored all their pleas.

As the days slowly crawl by, they resort to my weakness, my family. Instructors were denied access to the private information of cadets to protect them. Thus, nobles had to take the long route.

That gave me time to observe and learn everything about Darem Albert.

===============
Two weeks later...
===============

Late at night, I planned to head into the man-made forest for cultivation but detected two hostile cadets tailing me.

...

I stop at a secluded spot relatively far from the academy.

"Come out."

Two cadets reveal themselves from behind the trunks. In their hands are steel swords with an outburst of aura surrounding it.

"Ah, both of you are retainers of the Gregor house," I say.

"You have two options. Join Baron Gregor as a retainer or die here."

"Did Issac Gregor promise you some sort of reward for your sacrifice? Wow." I sigh. "We have no enmity so I will end this instantly."

I draw my sword.

!

The moonlight bounces off my clear and serene aura, a beautiful rose with lethal poison.

The two cadets immediately back off in fear.
"Y-You...have an aura?!" Their voice trembles.

"Different from what you heard? There's no way I will reveal my strength." I say and leap towards them. Within a few seconds, I appear behind them, painting an art of blood dancing in the sky.

-------------
Fate:64220->65100
-------------

*Thud!*

Both corpses fall silent.

"Not bad." I look at my sword, not a single blood present.

By simply observing Darem Albert, I learned his swordsmanship and mastered it to this degree. The fundamental of his family arts is speed. My speciality.

I gaze back. Their corpses were left intact with clear sword cuts.

"..."

My head hurts. I haven't slept for a few days thanks to mana circulation yet mental fatigue still exists.

Two hours later, the report of two missing cadets leads the investigation into the forest and finds their fresh corpse.

"What the fuck?" An instructor mumbles. "This cuts..."

He turns to Kaine and Kaine nods. "It's swordsmanship of the Alberts."

The instructor clicks his tongue. "Hah...things are messy in the Albert and Gregor territory and now this...I will call both houses. Keep an eye on the bodies." and the instructor leaves.

Kaine stares at the corpses.

It's concrete evidence of the perpetrator but his instinct tells him something is off. His mind darts back to a cadet's request two weeks before.

"There's no way..." Kaine mumbles.

Darem Albert and his retainers were apprehended without warning and an alibi. Due to his schedule, Darem's isolation provided no truthful witness that the council members quickly caught. However, just based on the cuts was insufficient evidence to rightfully judge Darem guilty and the trial was put on hold.

Nevertheless, Isaac was convinced that Darem was behind their deaths. Two leaders of influence in the academy hurled a ruckus of drama between the two groups dividing the academy.

My diversion worked. They no longer focus on me, a single individual, as I lay low to avoid the free fire.

The remaining time was used to refine and polish my physical body.

One week before the competition, I am allowed to return home to rest.

...

A celestial tapestry of countless stars twinkles in the night sky. The silver crescent moon casts a gentle glow and forms the silhouette of trees. The air is filled with a symphony of nocturnal sounds. It fills me with melancholy.

Close to the cabin, I realise the lights are still on.

Is my mother still awake?

I open the door to find a muscular man reading a book. Clad in a worn-out flannel shirt and sturdy pants, his calloused hands reveal years of determination. He puts down the book and smiles at my return.

"Loi! It's been some time." He says.

"Dad..."