30. To Bide One'S Time

[Announcement: I enlisted in the national army next year. Hence, a delay in the uploading schedule. Thank you for the understanding!]

A figure shrouded in malevolence leans against the wall amidst a dark hallway. Draped in voluminous onyx-hued military attire, his shoulder coat is adorned with austere insignias.

The single light source of a torch reflects his silver moonlight hair and eyes; Young contours yet his real age is in the thirties.

Another mystery guest emerges from the dark and leans beside the man.

"Chief Commander Zepdas, for what purpose must we meet now? I'm in the midst of educating my son and daughter," A rough old voice echoes.

Zepdas' expression remains emotionless but his eyes tell a Machiavellian story.

"Do you trust me, Madame Nelson?" Zepdas asks.

"Of course not. Trusting you is akin to death."

"You don't have a choice."

Madame Nelson gazes at Zepdas. "Pardon?"

"The most prominent rising stars Irina Nelson and Clifton Nelson fell by the hands of mere commoners. Laughable. They can't even reach the semi-finals."

The lady furrows her brow as visible veins pop in her head. "Are you picking a fight?"

Zepdas glares at Nelson and an impactful shock punches her soul.

"NGH?!" She stumbles away from Zepdas. By no means is she weak. Nevertheless, her instincts are screaming at his scornful gaze. She experienced this before...with Roate.

"How..."

A sinister aura leaks from his physique, and the cries of thousands ring in Madame Nelson's ear.

Zepdas caresses his chin. "Have you wondered if beating talent is truly possible? Effort may reign when one stagnates but the combination of both births a legend."

"What do you want?"

"Your husband refuses to cooperate so I come to you. In just two years, your children can achieve the Lord realm. In exchange, obey me." His gaze turns crimson.

...

"Can they...really..."

"Yes, I'm living evidence."

...

"If you want, I can even get rid of the top two winners," Zepdas says.

!

"Everyone's attention is on them. Not even the greatest assassin can move with ease."

"But it's not impossible. You know who is behind me."

The lady gulps at the alluring offer. "I..."

=========================

Two days have passed since the prize ceremony. The heat has yet to die down.

Excluding Roate and Golden Exchange, the eight masters of power are divided into three factions: The Noble Alliance, The Magic Overseer, and The Warrior Association.

The names are self-explanatory. Aristocratic powers in The Noble Alliance; Mages in The Magic Overseer; Adventurers or mercenaries in the last.

All three factions have come forward to propose an offer, each lucrative in its way. They speak of potential and support as well as ambition. All plan to become the greatest in the kingdom. I rejected their invitation, pretending to be unsatisfied and stating that I planned to collect more achievements to prove myself. Until then, I shall remain neutral.