Day 31: All Good Things Must Come To An End

Start from the beginning

"No," Elise says, "I'm just really hungry and you lot all seem to be doing nothing but argue."

"It's because we love each other," Rosie jokes, "but hey if you're hungry then why don't we stop for that ice cream you suggested earlier."

A smile breaks onto Elise's face at the thought and promptly she pulls over at the side of the road, parking in front of a quaint little shop. Through the large front window I can see a display of several flavours of ice cream and my mouth begins to water before I even enter the shop.

Levi links arms with me when I step out of the car before offering me a wide smile.

The four of us walk into the shop amid chatter, now that we are out of the car and in more space the four of us seem to be less likely to kill one another. Elise's posture has slackened and an easy smile is now resting on her face. Rosie and Elise's arms are also intertwined and Rosie – much to my disgust – halts our entrance into the ice cream parlour by stopping to take a selfie. Elise and I share eye rolls whilst Levi desperately tries to get into frame.

When we finally make our way inside we are greeted by a cool breeze and a friendly waitress quickly rushes over to us, proffering menus and gushing excitedly in French. Without hesitating, Elise quickly replies and I barely have time to glance around the shop before we are led towards a table in a corner of the cafe that is easily big enough for the four of us.

"Merci," Elise says to the waitress as she wanders off whilst we make decisions.

Rosie bites her lip as she stares at the menu.

"I hate going out to eat," she sighs, "the stuff always sounds so nice and I'm always torn between every single option."

"We could just buy it all," Levi suggests jokingly.

To be honest I think neither Rosie, Elise nor I would complain if we did that but our wallets and waists certainly would.

As we are staring at the menu in intense concentration, all our phones start to ring simultaneously. Instantly we share nervous looks and one glance down at the caller ID only serves to make our hearts beat faster.

"Shit," Rosie murmurs and it kind of seems like an understatement, "shit, shit, shit."

Even Elise offers no optimistic words and instead her face drains of colour as she continues to stare at the phone.

"We have to answer," she says after a few beats, "else they'll just keep calling."

She says that but Elise still makes no effort to accept the call. I know what she says is true and so I take a deep breath and press the phone to my ear.

"Hello," I murmur.

There are no pleasantries, just my mum screaming down the phone at me.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" She asks me without giving me a chance to reply. "You're supposed to be in Brighton, last time I checked Brighton was not in mainland Europe."

I consider explaining, but I decide that just letting her get this all out is a better idea.

"This is the stupidest thing you've ever done Jess. I mean I know you love the band, and I know you were disappointed to not be able to go to a show but this is just absurd behaviour. How the hell the four of you are managing to afford this I have no idea? And speaking of the fact that there are four of you, Levi? Really Jess? I thought you knew better than that, that boy is no good for you. Do you not remember what happened last time?"

My mother is starting to intrude into more personal territory – an area that I really do not want to visit and so I quickly intervene.

"Mum," I say gently, "I'm sorry but we wanted to do something before we all went our separate ways."