31

Jayden's POV 

I didn't want to leave her alone because I knew exactly why she was called home. 

That bastard was home and her gold digging mother wanted to set them both up. It vexed me and made me feel as helpless as I was defenseless. 

I looked at the card I couldn't let go of as I tapped the horn of the car I was driving. 

The people who had snuck in had left behind their card and I would have considered it a mistake if it hadn't been nearly placed at the foot of the drawers l table. 

I had phoned the number earlier and we had agreed to meet at an ice cream shop in the next city. 

A long drive as that was why I needed to be sure Chloe was safe even though it was in the hands of my enemy for now. 

I was going to trust him because he had been laying low for a while now and I needed to trust him on that before losing my sanity, but there was also the call I got this morning from her mom. 

Earlier that day when Chloe was fast asleep in my arms, my phone rang and due to the absurdity of the time, I was startled as I picked it up to my ears and the first thing I heard was, "I know what you've been up to." 

It sounded so creepy that I was scared it would give Chloe another nightmare so I gently got my hand out of where she was resting on it, regrettably so because I was starting to love the feel of her head laying on my hand. 

It showed how much she relied on me when she was unconscious and deep asleep. 

I gently got out of bed, glad that she was too deep asleep to be startled by my mere movement. 

"Excuse me?" I blinked quickly to keep my focus on the caller ID and I decided to wait patiently for her to talk next. 

Calling as early as three am was obvious enough, but those ominous words too? I was upset and silence was my way of doing that. It was the only way I could keep a distance between us at this point. 

I didn't want to hang up as I needed to hear what she had to say. 

"You're with Chloe, aren't you?" Now I was truly startled. 
Was she a psych or...

"Good morning, Mrs Anderson," I called her by her ex husband's surname. 

"Don't relate me with that selfish stingy bastard!" She lashed out and I was glad that I got my revenge for her roughening me up with that question first thing in the morning. 

"I just called to tell you that whether you like it or not, Chloe will Marry and become a Fitzgerald. At most, you would remain a sideline fuckboy, but you can never bring my daughter to the spotlight which is all I want for her."

"Why are you telling me all this?" 

"I might not look like it, but I care about my daughter despite all this act that I put up, so I want you to break whatever it is that you have with her before it's too late. I don't want her to get hurt and remain dueling in the past when she gets married to the young master of the Fitzgeralds," she said in her attempt to sound responsible, but her words only pointed out all my flaws. 

"But-" 

"I don't care if you truly love her or whatever fairy tale you have cooked up in your head because the wealthy young master is starting to come to his senses as well. He loves her too and if he finds out about what's going on, he might start to see you as a real competitor which will be troublesome for your father's business." 

I didn't give a damn about that.

I wanted him to be scared everytime he heard that Chloe was with me.

I wanted him to get into real competitive spirit with me and not see me as just a Stepbrother! 

And that's why I was going to meet these strange people despite their mode of approach. 

"How did you find out all these though?" I asked and she chuckled, one almost similar to Chloe's.

"Well, my daughter just like me doesn't know how to keep a secret, just leave it as that," she said and there was a long pause of silence before she started to talk again, cutting me defense at that point as well. 

"If you really love her, then you would let go of her now rather than hurting her. You're an adult, so I'm sure you understand," she said her piece and hung up, leaving me in despodense but with no time to ponder upon it in my quite time when I heard my name. 

Even in her sleep, she was calling unto me and knew or rather felt it when I wasn't there and it made me want to become stranger. 

I wanted to face the odds and beat the Fitzgeralds one way or the other. 

I wanted to give Chloe a future that beat her present and make her happy for the rest of her life. And I needed to make her trust me as well rather than have her rely on two men who hated eachother to the core.