18 The Incident At Breakfast Hub

Chloe's POV

I strongly told him the truth as I perceived it.

"To you, but I'm not sure others wouldn't think the same way when they see how well I treat you."

"Isn't that too much? I don't even want this and you know that much. I don't know what came over me. I usually loathe your kisses," I confessed, seeing it was the only chance I had to be truthful. At least, until he regained his usual self.

"Maybe Cupid shot us with an arrow of love," he winked as he picked the menu.

"That's too cheesy and absolutely creepy, snap out of it," I picked the other iPad menu to loosen the scrunch on my face.

The thought of some supernatural being in the room, shooting arrows of love made me feel like I was being watched everytime. No doubt this Cupid must have delivered judgement on us while Jayden and I were at it.

I couldn't care less though.

"Chloe darling, have you picked something?" The waiter who had placed a glass of water while I was staring into the screen absent-mindedly flashed me a smile which I curtly returned but glared at Shawn.

"No, and I'm not your darling! Actually, could you please help me pick something? I can't digest much spice," I murmured the last part underneath my breath. For some reason, it felt embarrassing to make such a confession to him when he was nothing but a dreadful partner forced in the past.

"Yes, I know. We will go with this and this and yes your today's special as well. Make sure to add lots of strawberry jam in the French toast as well," he ended the order and winked at me.

Now I was stuck in the cliche scene where I had to ask this usually uncaring guy how he knew about my like and dislikes.

"How did you know I love Strawberry Jam?" I asked with clenched teeth as I didn't want to see him puff his shoulders and look at me with a pompous look.

"Oh dear," but the contrast happened. Shawn was being unexpectedly cool about it, "it's only natural for me to know that little about someone I care about," he held my hand in his on top of the table.

And usually, I'd have forced my hand away from his hold because of how demanding he always was with it. But not this time when his palms felt so soft against mine and he was looking at me so softly like I was a delicate flower he was too scared to tamper with.

I couldn't be more glad for the interruption when the waiter brought in our food.

And after a while when I had dug into the food because of how hungry I was from my morning exercise, I noticed he hadn't touched his.

"Aren't you eating?" I asked with a mouthful.

"Oh dear,"he leaned forward and swiped the edge of my lips with his thumb before licking the red paste off it, "I thought I could, but watching you eat brings me so much joy I don't have appetite for anything else," I stared at him until I started to drool.

"Okay, I can't do this anymore," I moved my chair back and got to my feet.

"You will seat down and you will eat, Chloe." His tone suddenly changed and sounded so familiar it made the hair on my back stand straight.

"Sh-shawn,"I shivered as I sat back down and although I had totally lost my appetite to eat, my stomach suddenly growled from that command that I started to wolf the food down my throat in the next second.