Chapter 14

My wards began to settle in over the next month. It was comforting to feel them become happy, like I knew they would be. Davina enjoyed going to high school and hanging out with her friends. It helped that I bought them both cars. Though the deal was they had to carpool to school with each other.

Things with the elders are better as well. It's as if they actually take my input. We got our werewolf guards. Which Marcel wasn't too happy about. It was more than just putting up a united front against the vampires. It was trying to bring the wolves back into the fold seamlessly.

I also got a visit from Elijah Mikaelson. "Hello Miss Bennett," he said when he found me studying at the abattoir.

"Hello, Mr. Mikaelson."

"Interesting that you ..."

"Have made a home of your home? Or at least it used to be in like the late 19th century, right?" I looked at him and his eyes widened in shock. "Seer, remember. That doesn't just mean the future. Speaking of the past, I know a secret. And I know what you're here about but wouldn't you rather hear the secret?" I got up from the desk and walked over to the library where I poured us both glasses of scotch.

"I would like to talk to you about my..."

"Brother, Niklaus. I know. But wouldn't you much prefer to hear a story?" I handed him the glass and sat down on a couch. "There's a woman I know of with a lot of secrets. A lot. A whole life her children never even knew about. Hundreds of years ago there were two sisters. They loved each other more than anything. They learned witchcraft together and although the eldest was far better, she shared with her sister. They were the ones to promise always and forever way before you and yours. They were kidnapped by vikings. One sister wanted to use her witchcraft to escape. The other found one of the vikings very handsome and decided she would stay and marry. So the eldest stayed around to watch over her sister. To watch her sister marry the brute and watch them struggle to have children. Then one day, her younger sister begs her to help her conceive a child. And the sister agrees. Only if she gets the firstborn child and every other firstborn afterwards. The woman agrees quickly and falls pregnant. She has three children and one day, the sister comes and takes what she is owed. Tell me, did your parents ever tell you the story of how they met?" He shook his head no.

"They weren't very forthcoming, my parents."

"Did you know that you have an aunt?" More surprise.

"It's possible my mother may have mentioned it once or twice." I waited for him to put the dots together. I just sat in silence.

"Are you trying to say that story was about my mother and her sister?" I shrugged.

"There is a bit more to this story. Like witches that learned to move through time by sleeping for a hundred years then living for one to keep themselves young and amass power. I might even know where one of them is taking a power nap currently."

"You know where my Aunt is?"

"No, I know exactly where your older sister, Freya, is. Still sleep but she's due to awake anytime now."

"How do I know this isn't a manipulation?" I took a drink from my glass.

"You're not getting Klaus back, regardless. He did something wrong. He's being punished. For the first time in his life, for something he's actually done. No one else can do what I can." The statement sent lust and admiration my way. Also his eyes darkened so it was even more obvious.

"That is true. So can I see this so-called sister?"

"I will talk to the witch elders. They don't actually know they have her." I got up and he stayed sitting down. Also looking at my ass, which I didn't appreciate. I felt Marcel's presence coming down the hallway. "Are we done here?" Elijah got up and refastened his suit jacket.